View previous topic | View next topic

Kornukopia - thread for miskellaneous K subjekts.

Page 13 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

tetsabb
948030.  Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I checked out both sites linked from swot's post.
Presumably #1 in that list explains 'dog in the manger'?
(Nah -- you'll have to look it up yourselves!)

swot
948031.  Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Kavana is also a terrible singer, from the era of my childhood. Same generation as the Spice Girls and Boyzone, but much less popular.

swot
948176.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote

Can a Kith and Kin episode have a wedding section?

Webster100
951282.  Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote

What color is Turkish coffee? Why, it's "kahverengi," which means brown, but literally translates to "the color of coffee."

Wiki for Turkish Coffee

Webster100
951291.  Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:
I was looking for the significance of the name Ketzel when I came across this. I worry about people sometimes.

Talk about a rock star life style. Ketzel was an award winning musician by five and dead by 19.

swot
953056.  Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote

While looking at the wikipedia article about Kuru, I came across this link: Koro - the belief that your penis is retracting into your body.

swot
953924.  Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Kinky - Scientist lives with and masturbates a dolphin.

In an effort to try to see if dolphins can be taught about human language, a researcher named John Cunningham Lilly had a student named Margaret Howe live in a semi-submerged house with a dolphin.

The dolphin, named Peter, fell in love with Margaret and violently attempted to have his way with her, as is the custom among dolphins.

dolphins-world.com wrote:
Males can be very aggressive towards each other when it comes to the right to mate.They make sounds to warn each other off and they may collide their bodies against each other. The use of the fluke is very common when it comes to males trying to show their strength. There is usually not any real damage from these battles, but they can continue until the males are exhausted and until one of them goes away in defeat.

The female will mate with the one that is the strongest and most dominant. The males can be very aggressive too with females that aren't very responsive to the advances. The male can quickly become impatient with a female that doesn't want to mate with him. Sometimes, dolphins will show signs of sexual activity towards humans or other forms of aquatic life they come into contact with.

When Margaret ignored his advances, he would bite her, so she eventually relented and stroked his penis with her hand or foot, even when the other scientists were around.

I'm not quite sure what the scientists learned from this particular experiment, but there we are.

swot
954362.  Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Another kinky one: Klüver-Bucy Syndrome

Quote:
The list of symptoms differs somewhat by source. Generally included are the following:

Docility. Characterized by exhibiting diminished fear responses or reacting with unusually low aggression. This has also been termed "placidity" or "tameness".
Dietary changes and/or Hyperphagia. Characterized by eating inappropriate objects (pica) and/or overeating.
Hyperorality. This was described by Ozawa et al. as "an oral tendency, or compulsion to examine objects by mouth".
Hypersexuality. Characterized by a heightened sex drive or a tendency to seek sexual stimulation from unusual or inappropriate objects.
Visual agnosia. Characterized by an inability to recognize familiar objects or people.

It's caused by bilateral lesions of the amygdala.

Moosh
954372.  Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote

swot wrote:
It's caused by bilateral lesions of the amygdala.

As the actress said to the bishop.

swot
954662.  Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:
Kavana is also a terrible singer, from the era of my childhood. Same generation as the Spice Girls and Boyzone, but much less popular.

I found another, more interesting Kavanagh

swot
956361.  Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Another Khazi one - in Zimbabwe they have to hold synchronised toilet-flushing to unplug the sewerage systems, which become clogged due to drought.

swot
957140.  Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote

Karyotyping is a cell biology technique that is used to study the structure of chromosomes, or sometimes just to count them if aneuploidy is suspected.

It gives rise to lovely pictures like this, which are the reason people think that DNA looks like this all the time.

In fact, the DNA only looks like that when it is condensed during the metaphase of mitosis and stained with Giemsa or other stained to show up the bands. The rest of the time the DNA is more spread out. If it wasn't, the DNA couldn't be read and thus used or replicated. Additionally, this picture is taken after the DNA has been replicated ready for cell division - what you see are two sister chromatids per chromosome pair.

The karyotype above is of a man who has Kleinfelter's syndrome, in which a male has two X chromosomes in addition to his Y chromosome (no matter how many X chromosomes there are, if there is a Y present, the person in genetically male). Aberrations like this occur due to non-disjunction events, either during mitosis or meiosis in gametes. Non-disjunction means that sister chromatids or chromosomes do not separate as they should.

Symptoms of Kleinfelter's syndrome vary for person to person, but generally include reduced fertility and a higher-than-average incidence of moobs (gynecomastia) compared with the whole Y-chromosome-carrying population.

Another karyotype using a different staining technique.

krollo
983253.  Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

Fritz Wittels argued that kleptomaniacs were sexually underdeveloped people who felt deprived of love and had little experience with human sexual relationships; stealing was their sex life, giving them thrills so powerful that they did not want to be cured. Male kleptomaniacs, in his view, were homosexual or invariably effeminate.

Also:

Kaffeklubben, or Coffee Club, Island is the northernmost piece of land anywhere on earth.

Kingston-upon-Hull has been voted the chavviest place in the UK.

Jenny
983305.  Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote

<adjusts Burberry cap>

krollo
983328.  Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Kim Kardashian has the middle name Noel. Her father was OJ Simpson's defence lawyer and her stepfather got a gold medal in the decathlon in the 1976 Olympics.

Page 13 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next