View previous topic | View next topic

Kornukopia - thread for miskellaneous K subjekts.

Page 3 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Jenny
926018.  Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote

That's a good one, monzac.

monzac
926223.  Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote

Keats and grammar:
John Keats wrote:
I should not of written

Some time ago I posted a comment in the Muphry's Law thread about Keats writing the above in a letter, to demonstrate an early example of an error I'd seen regularly in students' work.

Unfortunately, I was working from memory at the time and dated Keats' comment as having been made in 1809. I have now unpacked that box of books, and can cite it accurately as having been written in 1819 :)

Source - David Crystal, The Stories of English, Penguin, 2004.

'yorz
926228.  Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote

You of been busy, monz ;-p

Spud McLaren
926508.  Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote

The Sri Lankan city of Kandy was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1988. In the city there is (amongst other interesting sites) the Temple of the Tooth Relic. While the relic itself may be genuine, I can't remember the last time I heard of such a load of old bollocks as the beliefs that have accumulated around it.

dr bartolo
926680.  Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
The Sri Lankan city of Kandy was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1988. In the city there is (amongst other interesting sites) the Temple of the Tooth Relic. While the relic itself may be genuine, I can't remember the last time I heard of such a load of old bollocks as the beliefs that have accumulated around it.

If my memory does not fail me, the locals of that city once produced a fake of that relick, so as to fool the portuguese , who had the intention of stealing it.

krollo
927132.  Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

Thomas Kyd, along with other playwrights of the time, often put on plays performed by groups of children, which became loathed by adult actors as people preferred to see small versions of characters to regular size versions'

Starfish13
927135.  Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote

Kamchatka.

A peninsula, a river, a UNESCO world heritage site (Volcanoes of Kamchatka), and a territory in the board game Risk that allows for attacks on Alaska.

Spud McLaren
927720.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
Kamchatka.

< koff >

Oceans Edge
927787.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote

Kim Noble

There might be a General Ignorance question in here.

Kim Nobles suffers from dissociative identity disorder (DID), previously known as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), a disorder that for has been for years mistakenly understood by many as schizophrenia (which is a completely different mental illness all together)

Spud McLaren
927880.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Kraft.

Born in Stevensville, Ontario, Canada in 1874, James L. Kraft immigrated to the United States in 1903 and started a wholesale door-to-door cheese business in Chicago; its first year of operations was "dismal", losing US$3,000 and a horse. However, the business took hold and Kraft was joined by his four brothers to form J.L. Kraft and Bros. Company in 1909. As early as 1911, circulars and advertisements were in use by the company.

In 1912, the company established its New York City, New York, headquarters to prepare for its international expansion. By 1914, thirty-one varieties of cheeses were being sold around the U.S. due to heavy product development, expansion by marketing, and opening a wholly owned cheese factory in Illinois.

In 1915, the company had invented pasteurized processed cheese that did not need refrigeration, thus giving a longer shelf life than conventional cheese. The process was patented in 1916 and about six million pounds of the product were sold to the U.S. Army for military rations during World War I.

- Wiki

Spud McLaren
929937.  Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote

Khachkars - the all-purpose Armenian memorial stone.

krollo
930057.  Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote

In Kanye West you would find the junction between the A2 and the A10.

krollo
930058.  Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote

John Maynard Keynes had a homosexual relationship with the older brother of Harold MacMillan.

Oceans Edge
930068.  Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Key West in the Florida Keys was home to Ernest Hemingway, his home there is still a museum and home to the Hemingway cats - a tradition he started with his first polydactyl cat Snowbell.

The Hemingway cats are one of the best known and loved TNR projects, although it is a small group (40-50 cats) it is one of the longest and most loved programmes.

Almost all of the cats on Key West are either polydactyl or carry the polydactyl gene.

krollo
931514.  Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote

The term kung-fu does not necessarily refer to martial arts. It simply means any study, learning, or practice that requires patience, energy, and time to complete. The term's misuse in English is believed to be due to sub-par movie subtitling and dubbing. The OED makes this mistake; it lists the first usage of the word kung-fu as being from 1966 in Punch, though it was definitely practised in Europe as early as the '36 Berlin Olympics.

Page 3 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next