View previous topic | View next topic

Kornukopia - thread for miskellaneous K subjekts.

Page 9 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Spud McLaren
939399.  Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote

A sash? Kushti!

Spud McLaren
939849.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Some may find it interesting to read about Kuznets and Keynes so I've posted the links here, despite the fact that I fell asleep reading them.

Spud McLaren
939859.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Philip Kives, founder of the K-tel group of companies, claims* to have been responsible for the world's first compilation album. It was 25 Great Country Artists Singing Their Original Hits.

* haven't found another source for this yet.

Edit: according to Wiki,
"Promotional compilations or Samplers. These are creative, successful forms of promotion for artists and/or record labels to promote their music. Generally, these types of releases are free or cost very little for the consumer or end listener. Elektra Records released the first sampler albums: in the 1950s."

Maybe djg or Bondee know something in this regard?

Spud McLaren
939887.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Film buffs will probably already be aware of Kammerspielfilme, only one of which, apparently, had a happy ending.

Starfish13
939933.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:
Spud McLaren wrote:
Knoydart, an area of Scotland containing Britains'most remote mainland pub, may as well be an island - it has 7 miles of tarmacced road, but they aren't connected to the rest of the UK road system.

Well then how do you get there? Do you have to take a boat ride around the coast line?

Take the ferry across Loch Nevis from Mallaig to Inverie. Or walk in through the Rough Bounds from Kinloch Hourn. Its about 30km or so.

I've never been there, but would love to do it. Particularly by kayak.

Spud McLaren
940104.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote

The game of Knucklebones, or jacks, or snobs (as my gran used to call it). I was never dextrous enough to be any good at this game, and in any case I couldn't see any point in it.

Spud McLaren
940114.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote

The first Maundy Money may have been distributed in 1210 by King John at Knaresborough, home town of Ursula Southeil. She was better known to posterity as Mother Shipton, and has a moth named after her due to the pattern on its wings.

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spud McLaren
940368.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote

A bite from a king cobra can be fatal to an elephant.

'yorz
940372.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Evel Knievel.

The 433 broken bones he suffered during his career earned him an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records as the survivor of "most bones broken in a lifetime"

After a police chase in 1956 in which he crashed his motorcycle, Knievel was taken to jail on a charge of reckless driving. When the night jailer came around to check the roll, he noted Robert Knievel in one cell and William Knofel in the other. Knofel was well known as "Awful Knofel" ("awful" rhyming with "Knofel") so Knievel began to be referred to as Evel Knievel ("Evel" rhyming with "Knievel"). He chose this misspelling because of his last name and because he didn't want to be considered "evil".

suze
940403.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped and I tried to use Mr Knievel and his broken bones way back in the days of D series, but we couldn't make it stack up.

Guinness no longer keeps a record for most bones broken, but for sure it used to credit Mr Knievel with that record. But we found other possible claimants to the title, so could not be sure about the matter.

Starfish13
940482.  Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
A bite from a king cobra can be fatal to an elephant.

Not to be confused with a king snake, which isn't venomous. The "king" in its name, as with the king cobra, refers to the fact that it hunts and eats other snakes, including venomous species.

King snakes are often vibrantly coloured, and the banding on their skin can lead to confusion with similarly patterened, highly venomous, coral snakes. The species found in North and Central America can be distinguised with the rhyme "red and yellow, kill a fella; red and black, friend of Jack". An example of Batesian mimicry.

Oceans Edge
940796.  Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote

why are King Cheetah coats patterned differently than other Cheetah coats?

Alan Turing suggested that it might be the result of what he called a 'reaction/diffusion' system . A theory he put forth in his only biology / chemistry paper on how patterns form in nature.

The recent identification of the Taqpep gene in cats may be the clue to proving his theory.

swot
940872.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote

Kids songs. Horrifying, horrifying songs.

Spud McLaren
940883.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote

Oooh, good call, swot. You could make a whole episode out of that subject.

Maybe give it its own thread?

Spud McLaren
940893.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote

Kuwait

No, hang on, sorry - Kuwait

"More than two-thirds of those who reside in Kuwait do not hold Kuwaiti citizenship and thus cannot vote in parliamentary elections. Additionally, prior to 2005, only 15% of the Kuwaiti population were allowed to vote, with all "recently naturalized" citizens (i.e., less than thirty years of citizenship) and members of the Kuwaiti Armed Forces excluded. On 16 May 2005, Parliament permitted women's suffrage by a 3523 vote. The decision raised Kuwait's eligible voter population from 139,000 to about 339,000." - see 2nd link.

Page 9 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next