View previous topic | View next topic

Kipling

Page 1 of 1

Oceans Edge
924947.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote

I don't think one could do a K series without including somewhere one of Britain's most interesting writers.

Born in Bombay
First Briton to receive a Noble Prize for Literature
Still the youngest recipient
Turned down a knighthood

Arguably the greatest chronicler of Imperial Britain, and certainly one of the writers we have to thank for the short story as a format.

Last edited by Oceans Edge on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

bemahan
924948.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote

I knew he made exceedingly good cakes, but I didn't realise he wrote as well.

Spud McLaren
924950.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Oh, yes. Particularly intricate calligraphy on the individual Iced Bakewells box.

psssst, OE - First Briton to receive a Noble Prize for Literature

Oceans Edge
924951.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Spud... I'll fix that :)

bemahan
924963.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote

He was named 'Rudyard' after a lake in Britain where his parents met.
One of his mother's sister was married to Sir Edward Burne-Jones and another to Sir Edward Poynter. A third married Alfred Baldwin and became the mother of Stanley Baldwin, later prime minister.

Starfish13
924967.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote

As a member of the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission Kipling was the person who proposed the epitaph "Their Name Liveth for Evermore" inscribed on the stones of remembrance found in the cemetaries. He also suggested that markers of graves containing unidentified bodies were inscribed with the phrase "Known unto God".

Bondee
924969.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Strawberry
924971.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote

There is a bag company called Kipling. It was founded in Antwerp in 1987.

Spud McLaren
924972.  Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Why is Kipling Groove, a climb on Gimmer Crag, Langdale, so called?

Because when Arthur Dolphin first climbed it in 1948 he thought it was Ruddy 'Ard*...

* and certainly not a piece of cake

Jenny
926012.  Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote

'Yorz inadvertently started a second Kipling thread and asked me to delete it, so I'm copying her substantive post over to this one before doing that.

'yorz wrote:
925890. Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:17 pm
Rudyard Kipling

wiki:
Quote:
Joseph Rudyard Kipling (30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936) was an English short-story writer, poet, and novelist chiefly remembered for his tales and poems of British soldiers in India, and his tales for children. He received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1907. He was born in Bombay, in the Bombay Presidency of British India, and was taken by his family to England when he was five years old. Kipling is best known for his works of fiction, including The Jungle Book (a collection of stories which includes "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi"), Just So Stories (1902) (1894), Kim (1901) (a tale of adventure), many short stories, including "The Man Who Would Be King" (1888); and his poems, including Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The White Man's Burden (1899) and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major "innovator in the art of the short story"; his children's books are enduring classics of children's literature; and his best works are said to exhibit "a versatile and luminous narrative gift".

Many older editions of Rudyard Kipling's books have a swastika printed on their covers associated with a picture of an elephant carrying a lotus flower. Since the 1930s this has raised the suspicion of Kipling being a Nazi-sympathiser, though the Nazi party did not adopt the swastika until 1920. Kipling used the swastika as it was an Indian sun symbol conferring good luck and well-being. He used the swastika symbol in both right- and left-facing orientations, and it was in general use at the time.

Even before the Nazis came to power, Kipling ordered the engraver to remove it from the printing block so that he should not be thought of as supporting them. As an indication of his views of the Nazis, less than one year before his death Kipling gave a speech (titled "An Undefended Island") to The Royal Society of St George on 6 May 1935 warning of the danger which Nazi Germany posed to Britain.

EXE
965424.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote

I can't remember if this was mentioned on QI or not, but Kipling's death was reported before he actually died. He is said to have written, "I've just read that I am dead. Don't forget to delete me from your list of subscribers."
Kim was Jawaharlal Nehru's favorite book.
TS Eliot's opinion of Kipling: "[Kipling] could write great poetry on occasions—even if only by accident."

djgordy
965437.  Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote

As if Eliot ever bettered

"Though I've belted you and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Page 1 of 1