View previous topic | View next topic

Kissing Cousins

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CB27
939014.  Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote

In 1837 there was the case of Saverland v. Newton in the British courts because of a kiss.

Here is a newspaper report from the time:

Quote:
On Tuesday Caroline Newton was indicted for assaulting Thomas Saverland, and biting off his nose. The complainant, whose face bore incontestable evidence of the severe injury inflicted, the fleshy part of the left nostril being entirely gone, stated, that the day after Christmas day he was in a tap-room, where were the defendant and her sister.

The sister laughingly observed that she had left her young man in Birmingham, and had promised him no man should kiss her while absent. Complainant regarded the observation as a challenge, especially it being holiday time, and caughtl hold of her and kissed her.

She took it in good part, as a joke, but defendant became angry, and desired she might have as little of that kind of fun as he pleased. Complainent told her if she was angry be would kiss her also, and tried to do so; a scuffle ensued and they both fell to the ground. After they got up complainent went and stood by the fire, and the defendant followed and struck at him.

He again closed with her, and in the scuffle he was heard to cry out, "She has got my nose in her mouth." When they parted he was bleeding profusely from the nose, and a portion of it, which defendant had bitten off, she was seen to spit out of her month upon the ground. The defendant, a fat, middle-aged woman, treated the matter with great levity, and said he had no business to kiss her sister, or attempt to kiss her, in a public house ; they were not such kind of people. If she wanted to be kissed, she had a husband to kiss er, and he was a much handsomer man than defendant ever was, even before he lost his nose.

The Chairman told the jury that it mattered little which way their verdict went. If they found her guilty the court would not fine her more than 1s., as the prosecutor had bought the punishment on himself, The jury, without hesitalion, acquitted her. The Chairman told the prosecutor he was sorry for the loss of his nose, but if he would plav with cats, he must expect to get scratched.

Turning to the jury, the Chairman afterwards said, " Gentlemen, my opinion is that if a man attempts to kiss a woman against her will, she has a right to bite his nose off if she has a fancy for so doing." - " And eat it too,'' added a learned gentleman at the bar. The case caused much laughter to all except the poor complainant.

bemahan
939017.  Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote

Even in the UK it's fairly unusual to see a couple having a full on 'get a room' type snog.
When I was in a large coffee shop the other day there was a couple really going for it. The reason it particularly struck me was that it was woman wearing a hijab and what appeared to be a Muslim man. I wasn't shocked, just extremely surprised. And slightly nervous for them.

Edit:Following Arcane's post below re interracial kissing, I thought I'd just clarify that that's not what I was pointing out above, as I think they were both Muslim, but rather that it is highly unusual for Muslims to kiss publicly as it is seen as haram.

Last edited by bemahan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total

CB27
939023.  Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote

I think in the UK and most of the West it's "uncomfortable" to view such passion as it feels like it's something that should be private, but most people let it go as people getting carried away.

I agree it's surprising to see someone with a hijab going for it :)

Arcane
939877.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote

I hate the word "interracial" when someone kisses someone else of a different "colour". Captain Kirk kissing an alien is an interracial kiss, kissing a person of another "colour" is just a human kissing a human. Humanity should never have got to that point.

CB27
939888.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote

I think that's more to do with what people have done to people of different races (and continue to do) because of a false sense of superiority.

When I talk about different races of humans, I'm talking about tiny genetic differences which affect some superficial physical traits such as skin pigmentation and a propnsity for certain physical features (height, hair, etc), but this doesn't affect intelligence, athletic ability, artistic talent, etc.

If a human were to cop off with another animal, even another hominid, that would be an interspecies kiss.

Copping off with an alien is not interracial or even interspecies, and under recent changes to the taxonomy ranking, I'm not sure it would be an interkingdom kiss, I think it would have to be called an interdomain kiss.

Arcane
939889.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Live long and prosper, CB.

CB27
939893.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote

Nanu nanu :)

Arcane
939895.  Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote

May the force be with you.

djgordy
939901.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

If a human were to cop off with another animal, even another hominid,

Would that make him/her a homisexual?

MinervaMoon
939902.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:
I recall reading about the 'momentous' kiss that happened between Kirk and Uhuru on Star Trek TOS. I'm really amused by the idea that people were perfectly happy to watch Shatner whoring his was through the galaxy, kissing as many aliens as possible, but it was new and shocking for him to kiss a black girl.

Just a little more info on that:
Quote:
This episode ["Plato's Stepchildren"] has long been famous for featuring "the first interracial kiss on American network television". To be more precise, it was "the first kiss between a fictional white male and a fictional black female to premiere on American network television", as Kirk would kiss an Asian-American actress, France Nuyen, in a previously recorded (but later aired) episode, "Elaan of Troyius". Almost a year earlier (11 December 1967), NBC broadcast an Emmy Award-winning musical-variety special entitled Movin' With Nancy, during which singers Nancy Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. greeted each other with a kiss. Desilu's flagship show, I Love Lucy, had years previously broken the barrier on Hispanic/Caucasian kissing. Also, The Little Rascals had some "innocent" kisses between its child stars, but these shorts, under the title Our Gang, had previously premiered in cinemas; and, David McCallum would kiss an Asian-American actress in the 1966 Man from U.N.C.L.E episode, "The Her Master's Voice Affair".

From William Shatner's book Star Trek Memories:
"They even went so far as to suggest changing the scene so that Kirk gets paired off with Nurse Chapel and Spock ends up with me. Somehow, I guess, they found it more acceptable for a Vulcan to kiss me, for this alien to kiss this black woman, than for two humans with different coloring to do he same thing. It was ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous." -Nichelle Nichols [emphasis mine]

But it's been acknowledged by several members of the cast that William Shatner had no real Star Trek memories, e.g., he doesn't remember the disrespect he showed the rest of the cast (save Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley). And Nichols has said in her own book that he deliberately misquoted her in his "Memories" book; for instance, implying that she and Gene Roddenberry had an illicit affair when Nichols described Roddenberry's "voracious appetite", when her full quote was "voracious appetite for life".

From Nichols' own book, Beyond Uhura:
"If anyone's gonna get to kiss Nichelle, it's going to be me – I mean, Captain Kirk!" -William Shatner

*puts her Star Trek autobiographies back on the shelf*

*hides in her den of Star Trek lore*

*alone*

This is a picture of me and Walter Koenig.

This is a picture of me and Nichelle Nichols.

I'm done now.

Strawberry
939914.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote

i have Beyond Uhura as well; the fiancé bought it for me a few years ago. Also, i'm impressed that Minerva has met Nichelle Nichols.

Spud McLaren
939917.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote

I'm just impressed.

swot
939942.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
From William Shatner's book Star Trek Memories:
"They even went so far as to suggest changing the scene so that Kirk gets paired off with Nurse Chapel and Spock ends up with me. Somehow, I guess, they found it more acceptable for a Vulcan to kiss me, for this alien to kiss this black woman, than for two humans with different coloring to do he same thing. It was ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous." -Nichelle Nichols [emphasis mine]

But it's been acknowledged by several members of the cast that William Shatner had no real Star Trek memories, e.g., he doesn't remember the disrespect he showed the rest of the cast (save Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley). And Nichols has said in her own book that he deliberately misquoted her in his "Memories" book; for instance, implying that she and Gene Roddenberry had an illicit affair when Nichols described Roddenberry's "voracious appetite", when her full quote was "voracious appetite for life".

You're awesome.

Anyway, just for some unnecessary pedantry, do you mean that he remembers being a biatch to them, but forgets the others, or that he was nice to only them?

Oceans Edge
939943.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote

and the only cast member NOT to show up at Walter Koenig's finally receiving his star on the Walk of Fame

"Conspicuous in his absence - sums it up nicely"

I met him in Nova Scotia when I was 10(?), he was an asshole then, I loved the show, but I've never really liked him since.

Spoilt Victorian
939968.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
This is a picture of me and Walter Koenig.

This is a picture of me and Nichelle Nichols..

*jealous face*

~ V

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next