View previous topic | View next topic

Druze

Page 1 of 1

Gengulfus
42903.  Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Some other posts about death and reincarnation got me thinking about the Druze faith and the Druze people. I'm afraid that beside my own personal knowledge on the subject (which is rather meagre), I have only the apparently somewhat dubious Wikipedia entry. So perhaps we can get a discussion going with the archetypal QI question:

What's quite interesting that you can tell me about the Druze faith or people?

I'll start with something I've been told some five or six years ago by a Druze woman in a village somewhere out there in the Middle East:
There are only about one million Druze in the world, and this number is said to stay more or less constant throughout the years. This tallies with the Druze belief in re-incarnation within the religion. That is, according to the belief, souls get re-incarnated not only within the same species (compare, for example, with Hinduism, which says that re-incarnation can happen into any species), but within the same religion.

Mostly Harmless
42991.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
43030.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote

The symbol of the Druze is a five pointed star, symbolising mind, soul, truth, will and the material world:

You can't convert to be a Druze - you have to be born within the religion (qv the info about reincarnation above, which was not mentioned on the source I read).
Quote:

Druze was founded in the eleventh century by al-Hakim, 6th Fatimid Caliph, as a reform movement within Islam. The reforms proposed by al-Hakim never caught on to mainstream Islam, and al-Hakim began to believe himself first to be a prophet, and then, to be an incarnation of God. His mysterious disappearance while riding led many to believe he had been lifted directly into heaven.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/faqs/bl_druze.htm

Mostly Harmless
43041.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

mckeonj
43090.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Very powerful number, five.
Fibonnaci series 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 etc etc
Pythagorean triangle series; 3 4 5; 5 12 13
Babel numbers 12/13 consonants/months 5 vowels/planets

grizzly
43091.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Can you just explain that bit to me?

mckeonj
43670.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Quote:

Can you just explain that bit to me?

The best explanation can be found in "The White Goddess" by Robert Graves. Briefly, the ancient alphabet, called Beth Lui Nion consisted of 12 or 13 consonants and 5 vowels, the names of the consonants were also the names of the 12 or 13 months of the year, and the 12 or 13 sacred trees, each of which had an animal, bird, or fish associated. 12 or 13 depended on whether the calendar was lunar or solar based. The 5 vowels were also the five planets. The first letter B has various names, such as Beth, Beta, Biobel, Buchen, Birch, Book; the letter shape is a pictogram, one can see an actual Birch tree in the Greek Beta, this is so for all the consonants, e.g. D is a door, M is water, S a snake. The 'Tower of Babel' myth is actually about the knowledge of writing, the tower is built of consonant bricks with vowel mortar in between, whereby Man tried to acquire sufficient knowledge to reach God. The original 13 have been gradually supplemented with letters such as W, Q, C, Z, and the sequence re-ordered by religious authority. Also note that 5, 12, 13, are the integers of the second Pythagorean triangle, and that Pythagoras was as much a spiritual leader as a mathematician.

Page 1 of 1