View previous topic | View next topic

Fifty Amazing, (but Completely Useless), Facts

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jenny
945533.  Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote

I don't know about butterflies, but starfish taste with their feet.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247239.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote

16. The actual body on display has a wax head. The original one shrivelled up after a botched attempt at mummification. For decades it shared the same cabinet as the rest of the body but, after it became the victim of so many pranks, it was locked away permanently.

32. Not true. The Taj Mahal ('crown of palaces')'s chief architect was called Ustad Ahmad Lahauri and he led a team of 20000 artisans in building it. He also employed about 1000 elephants to do the really heavy lifting.

37. JK Rowling has given away so much of her wealth that she is no longer classed as a billionaire.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247241.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote

47. He first contracted hiccups after slaughtering a hog.

Snowywebb
1287999.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote

18: Honey mead (one of the oldest forms of alcoholic beveridge, first recorded in ancient Greece) is made from fermented honey and water, in other words honey can be broken down by bacteria.

crissdee
1288033.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
37. JK Rowling has given away so much of her wealth that she is no longer classed as a billionaire.

I doubt she was ever a billionaire. Watching a documentary about her a few years ago, the presenter said that he had heard she was worth £450 million. She instantly replied; "That's bollocks."* When he asked her for clarification, she said that she was worth "quite a lot, but nothing like £450m"

*Her actual words iirc.

Efros
1288034.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote

Estimated now at over $650 million. So about £490 million, whatever it is she ain't worrying about the light bill.

Snowywebb
1288050.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote

Whatís a £160 million between friends?
Just a trifle I think Stephen would have said.

cornixt
1288088.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote

Snowywebb wrote:
18: Honey mead (one of the oldest forms of alcoholic beveridge, first recorded in ancient Greece) is made from fermented honey and water, in other words honey can be broken down by bacteria.

Technically, it's yeast, which are fungal rather than bacteria.

The idea that honey doesn't spoil is a curious one, since many bad things will happy consume the sugar given enough moisture and air. In a sealed container a lot of things would probably keep well for a long time. I guess the sugar molecules won't break down as easily as in other foods.

Snowywebb
1288134.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote

One thing I can say about Honey Mead is its a very nice drop!

There is a country town in New South Wales called Mudgee that has a couple of Honey Mead producers.

Like sherry it is produced to please a variety of palates from dry to sweet.

I prefer dry... chilled itís a very refreshing drink on a hot day, though it can sneak up on you - its pretty potent.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3