View previous topic | View next topic

Fifty Amazing, (but Completely Useless), Facts

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

exnihilo
919848.  Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote

31. Hmm. Well, first you'd need to define "war" and then "lost" but it is true that the US Army used mules as late as WWII and in both the War of Independence and the Civil War. So it seems likely they used them in 1812 and, according to some, they lost that.

32. Only if you mean nobody knows the names of all the workers. We do know who commissioned it...

33. The same size at birth, but the Neanderthals' were indeed larger by the time they reached maturity.

34. Well, no. They may well have evolved from such, but no dolphin ever was one.

35. According to research at UCSC the average for people aged over 10 is 4-6, so anywhere from 1,460 to 2,196 per year (allowing for leap years).

exnihilo
919852.  Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote

36. Perhaps when this list first started polluting inboxes (although some of the 'facts' have been updated). Now the cost of the average Superbowl advert is $3.5 million. NBC made $80 million on the last one with the most expensive being Chrysler advert featuring Clint Eastwood at $5.84 million.

37. She may have sold books worth that amount, but her net worth in 2012 was estimated at $910 million in April of this year.

38. The earliest fortune cookie-like confections appear to have been Japanese but the form we know today was probably first made in the US. There are, however, competing claims including one from Hong Kong citing 1918. In either instance the Japanese claim is older.

39. So it would seem.

40. Yes. One main, systemic, heart and two single-chambered branchial hearts which supply blood to the gills.

This list appears, word for word, on several "fabulous facts" websites. The absence of the OP might make an uncharitable person think they only posted here to drive traffic to their own site. Still, at least more of them are true than on the usual lists we see.

And now I think I shall make dinner and leave the last few for someone else.

krollo
919855.  Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote

41.Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, but could never call his mother or his wife – they were both deaf.

First bit: Bullcrap, as we well know.
Second bit: True.

42.Every human was but a single cell for approximately one half hour.
Plausible.

43.The number one employer in Brazil is Walmart.
Noop - it appears to be the snappily named Companhia Brasileira de Distribuicao Grupo Pao de Acucar.

exnihilo
919860.  Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote

44. Should have been 46, for neatness, but see above.

45. Seems to be true, but one ought not to give babies salt until they're much older in any case.

46. The official start is "Black Friday", the day after Thanksgiving. But given that Christmas things appear in shops earlier and earlier every year I see no reason why this would not be true - or why it would be remarkable.

Edit: Consumer Reports produced a study that suggests it's 40% now, so 37% whenever this was drawn up seems fine.

47. Apparently so, and it seems he holds the record to this day. If he hiccupped once every ten seconds, though, it would only be 220 million or so. Amusingly, WikiPedia records that his hiccups stopped when he was 96 ... and died.

48. Oops. Ironing. Mea culpa. Still, see above.

49. So he said. Although a patent to cook food using similar methods was filed in 1934 by Bell Laboratories the first working one was made by Raytheon in 1947 based on the findings of Spencer.

50. Nope. China is first (58%), India second (25%), then Egypt, Iran and Turkey. new Jersey's not even the biggest producer in the United States, that would be Georgia.

There, all done.

Last edited by exnihilo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

suze
919861.  Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote

44. Shakespeare's date of birth is unknown. But if we use the convention that he was born on 23 April 1564 (three days before he is known to have been baptised), then work on the KJV was ongoing during the year in which he was 46; it had started somewhat earlier and he'd turned 47 by the time Bibles went on sale.

As already noted, shake is indeed the 46th word of Psalm 46 in the KJV. But spear is 47th from the end.

45. Asserted as true by Beauchamp, 1986. How does he know?

46. Asserted as true by the National Retail Federation (of the USA) in 2006.

47. True, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

48. If this was ever true, those days are gone.

49. So Percy Spencer claimed, certainly.

50. Utter rubbish. More than half of the world's aubergines are grown in China. The USA is not among the top ten producers, and New Jersey ranks only fifth among American states where they are grown.

Oh look !!!

exnihilo
919862.  Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, I got bored! Still, always nice to have someone else arrive independently at the same results.

So, of the 50 'facts', 22 are false, 7 are debatable and 2 are unconfirmed. Not a stellar result.

dr.bob
919968.  Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote

BigSkinny wrote:
18.Honey is the only food consumed by humans that has been found to not spoil. In fact, honey found in ancient Egyptian tombs was sampled by archaeologists and deemed edible.

Oops, missed this one. I remember it came up in research either this series or last. eggshaped claims that the "honey" that archaeologists discovered in Egyptian tombs was not actually honey at all, but some kind of resin.

You'd think they'd realise it wasn't honey if they tasted it, which leads me to think that the "sampled and deemed edible" bit may have been added on to the myth at a later date. Or maybe it was just sweet tasting resin that they thought tasted a bit like honey.

dr.bob
919969.  Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote

I misremembered, it wasn't eggshaped, it was Aaron.

Here's the research note:

Quote:
The tomb in question was KV46 in the Valley of the Kings, home to Yuya and Tuya, the parents of Queen Tiy (c.1398-1338 BC), mother of Amenhotep IV (later Akhenaten d. c.1334 BC). It dates from c. 1350 BC.

It was excavated in 1905 by the US millionaire archaeologist Theodore Davis (1837-1915). The discovery was recorded by Arthur Weigall (1880-1934), the representative from the Department of Antiquities on the excavation, who wrote to his wife, “When I saw this I really nearly fainted....The extraordinary sensation of finding oneself looking at a pot of honey as liquid and sticky as the honey one eats for breakfast and yet three thousand five hundred years old, was so dumbfounding that one felt as though one were mad or dreaming.” However, he didn't eat it, and it’s just as well, the jar actually contained a resin that looked a bit like honey.

Doesn't give a source, sadly.

Phoenixflyhigh
924647.  Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote

interesting :)

BigSkinny
925908.  Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:

This list appears, word for word, on several "fabulous facts" websites. The absence of the OP might make an uncharitable person think they only posted here to drive traffic to their own site. Still, at least more of them are true than on the usual lists we see.

And now I think I shall make dinner and leave the last few for someone else.

Yes this list was taken directly from another site, but not mine. Came across it in usual random webpage browsing, and quickly reading through I noticed a few falses, and created an account here specifically to get more pointed out :P
And then I forgot about it!

suze
945451.  Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote

We haven't had a "random list of amazing facts" thread for a while, but since I've just read one on my "other" Facebook account ...

1. A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.
2. A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.
3. The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
4. The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.
5. The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.
6. Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
7. Butterflies taste with their feet.
8. Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.
9. A cat's urine glows under a black light.
10. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
11. Starfish have no brains.
12. Polar bears are left-handed.
13. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

I try to avoid rude words on that Facebook account, so I didn't respond to #12 with "No they fucking well aren't". Even so, no they fucking well aren't. We first did that one waaaaay back in 2003 at post 898.

I think we've probably done most of these on these forums at one time or another. Points for the first person who can show any of them to be true.

Spud McLaren
945453.  Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
8. Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.
I think this means mammals, not animals. Otherwise, where does that leave snakes?

It's probably not true for mammals, either. And whoever wrote
Quote:
13. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
obviously never owned a dog.

Efros
945455.  Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Or indeed seen Bonobos.

Moosh
945461.  Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
4. The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.

Tangential to the main thrust but the length of a football field (Association or American) is about 110m. Or about 60 times a human body length, not 350.

According to a wikipedia (I know, but I'm in the middle of getting ready for work and don't have time) fleas jump about 100 times (33cm) their body length (up to 0.33cm).

'yorz
945465.  Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote

I remember watching a scientific program on Dutch TV in 1963/64 where they showed the human equivalent of the pulling power of an ant: a man was pulling an empty railway wagon (wooden one).

If somebody doubts my words - the program is available from Dutch telly on DVD. For a fee.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next