View previous topic | View next topic

Lion and Ostrich calls - Series 2.2

Page 1 of 1

saffer
917274.  Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote

Having just started watching QI again from scratch, I was delighted to see on the BIRDS episode of Series 2 a reference to the similarity between Lion and Ostrich sounds. As a South African who has spent a fair amount of time in and around the bush I became quite familiar with the sounds of lions at night, and of course ostriches are a very common farm animal over here so we all know what they sound like. BUT the similarities between their calls was laughed at on the show and I just needed to stand up for Livingstone as it is not the lion ROAR that sounds like an ostrich, but rather a low kind of panting sound they make when going about their business at night. And it is very similar to the deep throaty sound that I think (stand to be corrected) male ostriches use to attract females. A ground hornbill is another bird with a similar call that can also confuse the layman when exploring the African bush.
After leaving the bush I moved back to town and heard what I could have sworn was a lion one night...and brushed it off as being one of the above mentioned birds except that it was occurring at night. After a little investigation I discovered the zoo 1km from my new home was home to a few lions so I wasn't losing the plot. But the fact remains that the first alternative to lions calling that I thought of was ostrich or hornbill. Maybe you can do a K episode on Kruger National Park and raise it as Livingstone being spot on? ;)

Jenny
917410.  Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Thank you saffer - that's very interesting - welcome to QI :-)

<makes notes about Kruger National Park>

CB27
917430.  Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Now the really important question, which tastes better on the braai?

:)

saffer
918995.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

Hahaha....DEFINITELY Ostrich! I haven't tried Lion but they say carnivores don't taste great due to their diets ;). Although...crocodile tastes a little like chicken...but very gristley...I am not a fan.

'yorz
918999.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote

Hi saffer! Welcome :-)

Is it true that the woord submarine is called a 'Kan-nie-sink-nie-skippie' in Afrikaans? That would be brilliant :-D!

(for the ignoramuses: it means can-not-sink-not-ship)

CB27
919032.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote

I'd have thought it would be like the Dutch "Duikboot", but maybe there's a slang term for it :)

I've also had Ostrich meat in various forms (fillet, burger, billtong, etc), but never had lion. When I was in Brazil I had a lot of different meats, and I'm not sure which I had now, gator or crocodile, both are available :o

Page 1 of 1