View previous topic | View next topic

Intelligent Falling Issue

Page 1 of 1

kelgadis
918310.  Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote

I must say I was overjoyed when Stephen asked what "Intelligent Falling" was, because I was saying "I know! I know!" However, at least in the final cut that I saw, he didn't give the correct origin for the "theory," which is this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

Now for those who don't know, The Onion is a fake comical newspaper with fake comical stories. This story was made up by whoever wrote it. No one in America (that I know of) genuinely believes in "Intelligent Falling." This was done to make fun of IDiots (ID = Intelligent Design) and rightfully so. As I said before, perhaps in the taping His Holiness (Stephen Fry for Pope) did indeed say what the source was, but in the cut I saw, it made it seem as though Intelligent Falling had a movement in the US, which it doesn't. I just thought I'd post this to let people across the pond know that THIS particular craziness just isn't true.

Jenny
918468.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote

That wasn't quite how I saw it, kelgadis - as I saw it, Stephen said Intelligent Falling was used as an absurd illustration to show how Intelligent Design is not equivalent to evolution as a theory. I don't think he was suggesting that anybody in America (or anywhere else!) actually believes in Intelligent Falling. The bit that was left out (and it may have been in the XL edition - I don't know) is the explanation that the satirical Intelligent Falling theory postulates that there is an intelligence that pulls objects to the ground, and pits this against the theory of gravity. Here's the clip so you can look at it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGx-Typ_pGg

Jenny
918469.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote

Oh - and welcome to the QI forums and stick around - there are quite a few Americans here and there on this forum. I am in Maine, as are three other posters, though two of us were British expats before we became American citizens.

kelgadis
918601.  Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote

You have a point; I'm glad that no one did believe that. It still seems a bit ambiguous to me, but less so on further viewings. :)

mckeonj
918740.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote

It's the turtles breathing in.

PDR
918757.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote

Now that's just silly. The turtles live in space, which is a vacuum, so there would be no changes when they suck the vacuum in and blow it out again.

PDR

Strawberry
918769.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote

Hi, Kelgadis; welcome to QI.

Page 1 of 1