View previous topic | View next topic

Oranges are orange

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Arcane
913734.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote

Bamber Gascoingne! I used to laugh because his first name was also shared with the village where I lived near Preston.

Efros
913739.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote

Posh and a snob.

Strawberry
913758.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote

Hi, ViegasBennett; welcome to QI.

exnihilo
913828.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote

A quick Google search does suggest that most oranges are indeed green, but a distressing number of sites saying so use exactly the same wording, such as on this one.

However, we should also bear in mind that most oranges are not eaten but are juiced and that most of those have colour added to make them more orange.

Edit:

And here is the QI article in The Telegraph on the subject.

Efros
913837.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Used to be able to buy green unripe oranges when I was a kid, so they ripened at home. Must admit never tried 'em when they were green.

viegasbennett
913872.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote

We seem to have drifted off topic.

I just wanted to pick up on whose responsibility it is to get things right.

I wasn't attacking Stephen Fry, just stating what he said. He is the mouthpiece of the show and its researchers and makes it emphatically clear how eruditely he endorses the facts presented to him. I think he's big enough to take the blame.

Having said that, my target was the researchers and I would hope they take notice of these factual corrections.

At least I trust they will never again give him a script insisting that oranges are NOT orange. Now it seems such a trivial point...I'm signing off.

viegasbennett
913873.  Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Oh... ok...now I read the QI topic referred to. I suppose I should have known the research wasn't as random as it seemed: and i learned some interesting facts.

However, I still think that there is a linguistic usage point and the fact that at least in Europe, the Middle East and North America oranges are overwhelmingly orange, on or off the tree. It is certainly much more wrong or incorrect in normal usage to say that oranges are NOT orange, than to say that they are.

I have never found a green orange ripe enough to eat and stand by the test I mentioned. My trees are only ready for picking at the end of the year and I will pay special attention to their colour.

Posital
913916.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote

Are you in a tropical or sub-tropical zone? Perhaps a topical one?

Alfred E Neuman
913927.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote

Never seen ripe oranges that are green here either. All the commercially grown oranges I've seen are orange when picked.

Efros
913928.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote

Apparently green ones are usual in warmer climes, these ones are Thai. I lived in Singapore for a couple of years but don't remember green oranges, but then I was more into eating rambutans, durian, asian pears, sengue (haven't a clue as to the spelling, Chinese dried and salted cherries, incredible!).

addendum, seems the cherries were in actual fact plums and they are popular in not only Asia generally but Hawaii as Li hing mui, and Mexico as salao or saladito.

Last edited by Efros on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:04 am; edited 3 times in total

Posital
913930.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote

Anyway - I'm sure we can all agree that the inside of an orange isn't green.

Some chowhound poster wrote:
I think there is confusion here... I worked for an Agri Biz that runs California's largest citrus packing house... and one thing they have is a de-greening room where they pump some kind of gas & it turns the (early picked) oranges from green to orange. In spending time with the Marketing folks and people from the "S" marketing coop... I never once heard anything about dyes being used.

With that sad... like most produce in the U.S. it has been bred to look good & taste like crap. On the flip side... in Mexico people care less about the appearance of some produce like oranges, than with flavor & texture.

BTW... those Green Oranges are Valencias... they naturally grow in various shades from greenish (but the underlying color is still orange)... to reddish-orange.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/471115

Alfred E Neuman
913954.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Apparently green ones are usual in warmer climes, these ones are Thai.

And that's why I hang around here - always learning something new...

Bondee
913956.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote

viegasbennett wrote:
We seem to have drifted off topic.

Welcome to QI.
; )

exnihilo
913957.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote

We're only off topic if we accept without question that the 'fact' was false. If there's room to discuss whether it is or not we're very much on topic, as that's what everyone is doing. That's what we always do around here but backed up with evidence; mere assertion does not make a case, welcome to QI!

CB27
914016.  Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote

That info from chowhound confirms what I saw, oranges went through a gassing process which affected the peel more than the rest.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next