View previous topic | View next topic

Heterophobic bullying

Page 1 of 1

mckeonj
910227.  Sat May 19, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote

Heterophobic bullying? Is there such a thing? Yes, indeed there is!
I have suffered it several times; at boarding school, in the armed forces, and in the workplace.
The bullying can be purely physical, using violence in an attempt to subvert the victim, with an added frisson; or more subtle psychological bullying. In one instance, during RAF service, the method was to challenge me to a wrestling match, then to serenade me, and give me a copy of 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' by LAC Shaw.
I came out, and remain, firmly heterosexual (snigger ye not!).

Spud McLaren
910228.  Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote

What was the purpose of this bullying? Were they closet gays who resented your being heterosexual, or straights who thought you were gay, or straights under no illusion as to your sexuality but were just looking for a target?

Incidentally, wasn't The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T E Lawrence, and The Mint by LAC Shaw? Same person, I know, but ...

'yorz
910237.  Sat May 19, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote

And what brought this on in the first place? Am just curious.

mckeonj
910241.  Sat May 19, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
And what brought this on in the first place? Am just curious.

Just reflecting on the past.

'yorz
910244.  Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote

Ah. In that case, I've been the victim of such bullying myself, on numerous occasions. When I was my pre-teens I must have triggered such bloodthirstiness in my peers. In those days there was no distinction betwen hetero- and homophobia. Hell, we didn't even know it existed.

Page 1 of 1