View previous topic | View next topic

Series F, Episode 8

Page 1 of 1

carabela-lira
907304.  Sun May 06, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Still translating.

Reginald said (about 10:34 in short version):
"I sure enjoyed that long winding story so we could get to that. That was . . . "

All of us just didn't get it. We saw that he suddenly said something (apparently, without logical connection to duke Wellington) and everyone started laughing. Firstly, what "story" did he mean? Secondly, where is the joke everyone laughed about?

Please, can someone explain me all this?

(I'm sorry if I did a few grammar mistakes - it's cold and sleepy here today so my head doesn't work as it should).

Moosh
907319.  Sun May 06, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote

This was a question about the Duke of Wellington being thrown out of a club for wearing trousers rather than breeches.

In this episode, everyone was assigned a catchphrase (Do what you do best, has your mother sold her mangle, etc). After some discussion on the topic of Wellington's trousers, Clive Anderson said along the lines that the Duke should have been able to come in any trousers he likes, and Stephen said:

"That's my catchphrase! I can come in any trousers I like!"

This was the joke, relying on the word "come" being slang for ejaculate.

Reg's comment then makes sense in the context of several minutes of discussion leading up to a pun about spunk.

carabela-lira
907356.  Sun May 06, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote

So, generally, he speaks about how the discussion of the duke Wellington trousers ends up with durty jokes, is it right?

nitwit02
907430.  Sun May 06, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote

Yes.

Page 1 of 1