View previous topic | View next topic

Tea; The Great Debate

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Starfish13
909188.  Sun May 13, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote

I think I remember seeing a tv programme like Countryfile that visited a tea plantation in Cornwall, to try tea actually grown in the UK. It was rather expensive if you wanted to buy any, along the lines of the cost of saffron type of expensive.

Bondee
909193.  Sun May 13, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
I think I remember seeing a tv programme like Countryfile that visited a tea plantation in Cornwall, to try tea actually grown in the UK.

That'll be the Tregothnan estate.

Quote:
Tregothnan was the first place to grow ornamental Camellia outdoors 200 years ago and it is this expertise along with the unique Cornish micro-climate that helps our tea bushes, Camellia sinensis, to thrive here today. Hidden behind the iconic kitchen garden door, which dates back to Plantagenet times making it the oldest remaining part of the estate, youíll find the Camellia sinensis from which we made our first tentative tea experiments back in 2000.

Today, tea can be found growing in small pockets all over the home estate whilst larger plantations are located on Tregothnan land throughout the Southern tip of the county. One of our most recently planted areas sits opposite our restaurant Smugglers and Tea Bar on the River Fal, so our guests can actually watch Englandís only tea growing as they enjoy an afternoon tea next to the river.

http://tregothnan.co.uk/

It is expensive, £5 for 25 grams, whereas my current favourite, Russian Caravan from a tea merchant in Dorset, costs me just under £8 for 500 grams.

tchrist
909205.  Sun May 13, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:

It is expensive, £5 for 25 grams, whereas my current favourite, Russian Caravan from a tea merchant in Dorset, costs me just under £8 for 500 grams.

From my side of the pond, this sort of talk always sounds like Iíve somehow managed to tune into a bunch of narcotraffickers exchanging business notes.

Efros
909207.  Sun May 13, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Russian Caravan is available over here in the US for about $14 a pound +$4 shipping from the englishteastore.

sally carr
909229.  Sun May 13, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Shouldn't that be the Russianteastore?

Efros
909236.  Sun May 13, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote

well it could but then it wouldn't DNS properly.

Spud McLaren
909246.  Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Thanks for the butter tea recipe - I think the 'think of it as a light soup' idea is brilliant, because I'm sure it must taste quite different from a nice British cuppa.
I just bet it does. The butter will taste different from that made from cows' milk, for a start.

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5