View previous topic | View next topic

What have you Learned Today?

Page 1 of 41
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Spike
1093178.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote

A new book claims that DNA tests have identified who Jack The Ripper was.
Was Jack The Ripper a Polish Hairdresser?

AlmondFacialBar
1093180.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote

How could 125-year-old sperm possibly still contain living cells? I like the title of the thread, though; sounds like a topic Graham Chapman in drag would debate with John Cleeae in a Late Night Line up pisstake moderated by Terry Jones.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Spike
1093181.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote

I found that a bit odd myself, but I'm not a DNA expert.

AlmondFacialBar
1093183.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote

In other news, I just learned that the pretty orange stuff growing in my front garden is scarlett pimpernelle and an indicator of light soil. Makes sense, too, given that that corner seems to be the one where they tipped all the leftovers from building the estate. If I was into sand, bits of concrete and general debris that bed would be a treasure trove.

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1093186.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote

Start your own rockery garden. :-)

Efros
1093188.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote

Funny how scarlet pimpernels are orange, they are good indicators of incoming inclement weather apparently.

tetsabb
1093202.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
A new book claims that DNA tests have identified who Jack The Ripper was.
Was Jack The Ripper a Polish Hairdresser?

It says so in the Daily Mail, so must be true.

crissdee?

crissdee
1093213.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Ahem, if I might interject here?

Aaron Kosminski was a contemporary suspect ( of sorts) named in the "Macnaghten memoranda" (qv) and the "Swanson marginalia" (also qv). Originally he was idwntified only by surname, and accused on the basis of specious "evidence" . Later research by the writer Martin Fido and others has provided a great deal of background information on a possible contender for the man referred to by Macnaghten, but no stronger case can be made for his ripperhood than for any of the other suspects. The idea of any meaningful genetic evidence coming (beg pardon!) to light now is of course laughable. I would carry on rambling until you begged me to stop, but there's a pie to be eaten and only me to hand!

I shall return later when adequately pie'd.

crissdee
1093221.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I return, pie'd, potato'd, beaned and replete!

Now, where was I?

There has been some debate over whether Aaron Kosminski, Nathan Kaminsky and Vassily Konavalov ( all previously named suspects) were in fact all the same man, and even the possibility that all three were just aliases used at one time or another by suspect and convicted murderer George Chapman, who was himself a Polish barber in Whitechapel, and whose "real" name was Severin Klosowski.

Chapman/Klosowski has often been claimed to be Fred Abberline's favoured suspect, based on the idea that when Chapman/Klosowski was hanged, Abberline is supposed to have said "You've got Jack the Ripper at last." There is however little or no contemporary evidence that he said any such thing, and in his later years is reported as saying they had no more idea who Jack was than they ever did at the time.

In summary then, (who was that saying "thank feck for that?) I very much doubt that Ripperologists (yes, that's what we call ourselves) will be doing backflips over this latest "revelation".

AlmondFacialBar
1093224.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Guess who youlgreaved George as Graham there. Rather a disturbing notion, that...

AlmondFacialBar

AlmondFacialBar
1093281.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Start your own rockery garden. :-)

I wish you'd said that in March...

And I've just learned that the Chinese equivalent of a P45 is colloquially known as stir-fried squid. :-S

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1093298.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote

Just saw some more about Kosminski in the "Metro"

You all realise I will be buying the book anyway don't you?
Even though it's all b*llocks.

AlmondFacialBar
1093299.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote

I might have had the teeniest, weeniest inkling in the back of my head there...

AlmondFacialBar

NinOfEden
1093304.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote

It was on the Today Programme this morn, too - but just int he last 5 minutes, when they tend to talk about things that are more mildly diverting than important news items.

bemahan
1093306.  Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote

After a hasty trip to the GP following an SOS call from bemamum, we learned that she is in the top 2% for highest risk of admission to hospital and the GP asked her if she'd want to be resuscitated. She, understandably, asked if she could think about it and get back to him. I don't think this has helped her psychological state, especially given the GP is in his late 70s and looking very sprightly.

Page 1 of 41
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next