1121129.  Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Wait, what???

Spike
1121131.  Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote

It's the lighting that fools you.

Dress Colour

CharliesDragon
1121314.  Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote

#TheDress Reveals Something Pretty Profound About Autism.

Article about how people on the autism spectrum can perceive a lot of things differently to people not on it. With regards to The Dress, it's shown most people are not open to consider how other people perceive something, which can put a lot of responsibility on the person with autism to explain that a certain input is negative for them, or being told just to deal with it because the person they're talking with doesn't have a problem with them. It's really as unrealistic as telling someone they're not putting a real effort in just because they're not making the same time as Usaine Bolt on the hundred metre race.

I also think it highlights how a lot of people react to getting their political or religious view questioned or just meeting someone with a different view. "Oh, they're a UKIP supporter/Catholic? Must be a nutcase."
Regardless of why people view the dress to be this or that colour, it's shown a lot about human nature, using something that do not have a great impact on our lives. Religion and politics can and do affect lives, the colour of the dress do not, yet we get just as up in arms about it.

Not to mention, an internet meme (or whatever you want to call it) can give an easy to understand way into a lot of topics, which is rather cool.

extremophilesheep
1121340.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:11 am Reply with quote

Not sure what my political points of view are as I saw the dress as blue and gold....

Awitt
1121345.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote

The first time I saw it, it was white and gold.....and I have Aspergers, (autism) for your information.

Posital
1121382.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote

It's blue with black stripes - confirmed by my paint program. This is evidently more important than the complete fall of russia...

Jenny
1121431.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Clearly white and gold to me.

pinklady
1121436.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Clearly white and gold to both me and husband, but not, as it turns out, to my mum, dad, brother or sister-in-law, all of whom see strongly royal blue and black. (This formed part of a wide ranging discussion over mum's birthday dinner). I wondered if there was something genetic in it, but it seems odd that little bro and I differ. And it can't be age if my parents see the same as bro and sis-in-law.

Celebaelin
1121439.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote

The colour balance has been altered - it's actually blue and black*

* no such thing as black

CharliesDragon
1121440.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote

The reason for seeing white and gold is that your brain assumes the picture is taken in poor lighting, and we've all probably seen how pure white does not look pure white in a really dimly lit room where even our brains can't make up for it, but we still know it is white.

The reason for seeing blue and black is your brain making the opposite assumption, that the picture is taken in bright light, which I will say is the right assumption if you look at the top of the arm where the light is obscuring a bit of the dress, and what little part of the room you can see around it. It's completely blinded by light.

The Livescience article I'm basing this on.

Still, we experience a lot of things differently to varying degrees.

EDIT: I will admit the colours look more washed out than the picture posted right above me, but that's taken to make the dress look as appealing as possible.

Celebaelin
1121441.  Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Whatevah!

dr.bob
1121492.  Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote

I wonder how many people identify the dress as white and gold because they were told before seeing it that it's either blue & black or white & gold.

The first time I saw it, I had no prior knowledge of what colour it was supposed to be. A friend just showed it to me and asked me what colour it was. I replied confidently "Grey & Green!" :)

If someone asked me to choose between blue & black or white & gold, I would probably say white & gold. However, I don't think anyone can objectively describe the majority colour of that dress as white.

This is a white dress:

'yorz
1121495.  Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote

Am I alone in struggling with the ad description that the sleeves are 'kneelength'?

yeahyeah, I know - that bit should have gone a row below, but still...

barbados
1121505.  Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote

Perhaps someone has very short knees?

PDR
1121508.  Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
This is a white dress:

Rubbish - it's clearly a classical Givanchy "Little Black Dress" - the simple knee-length, long-sleeved cocktail dress with a subtley understated high neckline and integrated choker.

I think you need an eye test, Doc...

PDR

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next