View previous topic | View next topic

How was your day?

Page 1 of 134
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134  Next

swot
1060851.  Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote

I decided to stop wallowing in a blue funk being terrified of adulthood and went to baby group today. I had a conversation with two women, so that's twice as good as last time...
The group singing is still a little weird though, especially in a building called The Institute.

I never understood the point of chatting about common but minor problems, but I mentioned my having got mini-swot into a bad sleeping habit having just got him out of our bed* and they nodded in recognition and said they had the same problem (one baby was a month younger than mini-swot, one was 23 hours 50 minutes younger), and suddenly I felt a bit less rubbish. It's strengthened my resolve to get him out of our room (he has another inch to go before his head touches the top of the basket, so he needs to be able to sleep somewhere other than on me).

*He was doing fine sleeping in his basket, having a feed and going back in the basket, but I was particularly tired a week or so ago, then went down with a cold, so I was too tired to sit up to feed him. I fed lying down then fell asleep with him next to me, so he's used to being in our bed again, and refuses the basket *facepalm* A minor setback.

Jenny
1060916.  Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:

I never understood the point of chatting about common but minor problems, but I mentioned my having got mini-swot into a bad sleeping habit having just got him out of our bed* and they nodded in recognition and said they had the same problem (one baby was a month younger than mini-swot, one was 23 hours 50 minutes younger), and suddenly I felt a bit less rubbish. It's strengthened my resolve to get him out of our room (he has another inch to go before his head touches the top of the basket, so he needs to be able to sleep somewhere other than on me).

And that is why it's worth going to mother-and-baby groups, in my experience of many years ago!

If it's any consolation, my son and daughter-in-law still sleep with my granddaughter in their bed, and she'll be two in April, although apparently she has spent one night in her own cot, after they took the side down so she could get out. I have known many people who do this, and what seems to happen is that eventually the child decides (usually with a certain amount of bribery in choosing-your-own-nice-bedding terms) to make the shift on his or her own. I have to say it would not have suited me, and all mine were in their own rooms once we'd stopped feeding in the night (which took three months with #1, six months with #2 and nine months with #3, strengthening my resolve to have no more children after that). My daughter-in-law is still breastfeeding my granddaughter though, and I think having her in bed with them enables everybody to sleep later in the morning, which suits all of them at the moment.

bemahan
1060971.  Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Since we moved two years ago and bought a massive bed, bemad. comes into our bed about 4 nights a week. She's 11. The bed's so big though that it isn't really a problem. In fact it makes waking her up at the crack of dawn for school far pleasanter for both of us.

djgordy
1060987.  Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote

When I was out on Tuesday I went a bit wild and bought some wine gums from the shop at Elvaston Castle. I was looking at the names of the wines that appear on the sweets and noticed that. amongst the riojas, hocks and clarets etc there are some labelled "gin". Now, I'm no expert but I don't believe that gin is a species of wine. I feel that I have been totally hoodwinked.

swot
1061603.  Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote

Presumably, 'wine gums' is a nicer name than 'alkie drops' so they fudged it a bit.

We had the bed to ourselves for half the night! Progress...

Irritatingly, it's harder to get him in his basket for the whole night since I bought a superbooster for his nappies. He pees so much that I was changing him once a night, but he can now go all night with the same nappy, so I'm not forced out of bed. It's much easier to be lazy. :-\

RLDavies
1061835.  Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
I went to see The Book Thief.
It was a good film in all the usual ways, but I'm not sure if it was really meant to be more of a children's story.

I think the original book is a "young adult" novel.

'yorz
1062013.  Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote

I slapped a bit of make-up on, before I left for the cinema.
And I noticed it didn't look half bad, so I took a selfie.
Rather happy with the result, I sent it to a few people.
The reactions are baffling - some didn't even recognise me.
Words like 'glamorous' etc were used.
Hm. On the one hand it's nice to hear, on the other it's kind of a statement that usually I don't look that good. I don't tend to use warpaint, just have my eyebrows and lashes tinted. That's all. But if colour makes that much of a difference... I probably should make an effort more often.

Efros
1062014.  Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Similar experience, although not with makeup. I had my annual beard and hair shearing, my Gimliesque beard and the wild hair have gone, replaced with neat half inch length full beard and a not quite buzzed head. Remarks have ranged from, "did you have a haircut? to "you look 10 years younger". A lot of people didn't even either notice or felt compelled to comment, which on the whole I prefer. TBH I don't give a shit and only complied to please the wife. I rather like the long beard as I think it gives me a significant advantage when it comes to crowd control, read "classroom management"!

franticllama
1062016.  Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Its strange what a difference small things can make. I don't normally wear make up* and the comments I get when I do are nice but also seem to suggest that perhaps I should make an effort more often. I won't though since its too much effort to go to everyday and I'd rather people react with pleasant surprise when I do put some make up on, rather than them reacting with shock and horror as they aren't used to seeing me without it.

On a similar note, I bought a new pair of work trousers the other day and wore them today for the first time. Every other pair of work trousers I own are now too big for me and have to be held up by a belt. They were also designed to be on the slightly more baggy side. My new trousers are pretty tight fitting, but not outrageously so. They got quite the reaction, about 6 different comments on the trousers** and guys who normally simply walk past me made a point of saying goodbye.
I guess I show a bit of naivety in admitting that I really didn't think my choice of trousers would be in any way noteworthy.

*There are 2 occasions when I do - end of season hockey do and end of year work do
**Predictably enough all from guys, who have never before noticed when I wear different trousers

djgordy
1062071.  Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
I slapped a bit of make-up on, before I left for the cinema.
And I noticed it didn't look half bad, so I took a selfie.
Rather happy with the result, I sent it to a few people.
The reactions are baffling - some didn't even recognise me.

I tend to go out with ladies who don't wear make up and on the rare occasions they put some on, they looked really strange.

Yesterday evening I went to the opening of the Big Picture exhibition at Nottingham Society of Artists. It is a group I modelled for a couple of times last year - the models do the same pose for 2 hours a night over 4 weeks. There were quite a few of me in the exibition with prices between 240 and 500.

500 for a painting of me with my kit off!

swot
1062085.  Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote

That man who hides in the bushes with a camera must be delighted.

Efros
1062111.  Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote

So Milo was going out for his ablutions and I took hold of his collar and he yelped, took his collar off of him and the poor blighter has a hotspot under his collar. Got it clipped free of hair and cleaned up, not the easiest of tasks with him struggling all the time, and licking my hands non stop. He didn't complain at any point so he's not getting any pain from it, the collar must have just caught it right to cause him to yelp, fortunately it's hidden under his neck fur so he can't get at it to scratch or lick. He's going to have to be collar free until it heals, applying neosporin and hydrocortisone cream.

Jenny
1062122.  Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote

How does something like that develop, Efros? Just wear from the collar?

Efros
1062126.  Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Skin irritation that starts to weep and irritates more and then an infection, usually they're in more visible spots and the dog worries at them licking, scratching and making them worse. Usually leads to the dog wearing the cone of shame for a while. Fortunately, or not, this is out of his reach so it's not too bad but probably wouldn't have developed if it had been elsewhere. His inability to get at it will help it heal faster.

Alfred E Neuman
1062132.  Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote

I spent the day getting my garage sorted out. When I moved in here a couple of months back, I just shoved everything tool shaped in there and closed the doer. I've been getting increasingly frustrated that I just don't have both the time and the inclination simultaneously to get it done.

I pulled everything out, cleaned, swept, fitted shelving and packed most of it back. There is still some to be done, but I should manage that tomorrow.

Page 1 of 134
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134  Next