View previous topic | View next topic

Sad Coincidence

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

PDR
948543.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote

One of the unfortunate tragedies amongst the many due to Hurricne Sandy was the sinking of the replica of HMS Bounty off Cape Hatteras on Monday.

One of the last crewmembers rescued from the scene was that of Claudene Christian, although she sadly died before she could be recovered to a hospital.

I just think it's a morbid coincidence that someone called "Christian" died on a replica of HMS Bounty...

PDR

djgordy
948607.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Fletcher Christian didn't die on the Bounty, though. He died on Pitcairn four years after scuttling the ship.

'yorz
948611.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure most people know that. It's just that the name 'Christian' isn't one you come across every day. It is a coincidence...

tetsabb
948616.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote

.. or is it part of a cunning conspiracy involving the Templars, the Priory of Sion, the Illuminati, Rat Scabies, and a church near Edinburgh?

No, I think it is a conicedence

Alfred E Neuman
948620.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards conspiracy.

'yorz
948621.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote

cons-piracy

Spud McLaren
948623.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
No, I think it is a conicedence
This is a succession of rabbits, yes?

tetsabb
948628.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote

How did you know about the rabbits?
<<Tin foil hat

Spud McLaren
948633.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote

My voices told me.

Back on topic, maybe not quite so much of a coincidence -

"It was later reported that the Coast Guard had recovered one of the missing crew members, Claudene Christian, who was apparently the great-great-great-great-great granddaughter of Fletcher Christian the sailing master of the original HMS Bounty. Ms. Christian was found to be unresponsive and pronounced dead at Albemarle Hospital in Elizabeth City, NC."

- from here - bold mine.

tetsabb
948639.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote

I guess if your name was Christian, and you had an interest in such matters, getting a berth on the replica would seem appropriate.
Rotten shame for her and her family.

'yorz
948642.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote

Short-lived thread then, this.

Janet H
948648.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote

True, but Quite Interesting all the same?

mckeonj
948658.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote

It gives me the opportunity to draw attention to the achievements of Lieutenant William Bligh, captain of the original HMS Bounty.
He has been misrepresented in fiction as the tyrannical master of that ship in fictional accounts of the mutiny, with Fletcher Christian as the hero.
In fact, Bligh was a master mariner and navigator, an excellent choice for HMS Bounty's mission, which was twofold; to obtain breadfruit plants from Polynesia, and transplant them to the West Indies in the care of Joseph Banks, the botanist; and to observe and make measurements of the Transit of Venus, important for establishing longitude.
William Bligh was, by the standards of the time, a competent and humane master, who never punished by flogging, and took good care of the people (that is how they were called then, not hands),
making sure they had fresh vegetables and fruit to supplement the dried or salted meat, and organizing regular dancing on deck as exercise. (one of the people was a blind Irish fiddler for that purpose).
There was on board a surgeon to treat sickness and injury; unfortunately he was a drunk, and disappeared one night, presumed to have fallen overboard. The surgeon had been supplying laudanum, a solution of morphine in alcohol, to some people on board who were addicted to it.
Bligh quite properly took charge of the medicine chest, and refused to continue supplying to the addicts. This was the primary cause of the mutiny, led by Fletcher Christian.
William Bligh and crew members who remained loyal, together with Joseph Banks and the blind fiddler, were cast adrift in a longboat in mid Pacific, with supplies of water and food, and a couple of cutlasses for defense, also the captain's sextant and compass, but no charts.
Bligh managed to navigate the open boat across two thousand miles of open ocean without losing a single person, and arrived in Timor, a truly remarkable feat.
Stranger still, in his subsequent career he suffered two more mutinies, as commander of the Nore, a shore station; and as Governor of New South Wales, a penal colony.
He was then posted to Dublin, and set about founding a Hospital for retired sailors, similar to the Chelsea Hospital for retired soldiers in London, at Kilmainham. It subsequently became a prison, and is now the National Museum.
Just to keep his hand in, he set about surveying the Dublin Bay area, taking measurements from a rowing boat.
His published chart of Dublin Bay, when checked against satellite images recently, was found to be without error.

Posital
948661.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Cripes - you must have been holding all that in for a while... there's a long wait for us to get back to B again...

djgordy
948667.  Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote

I can recommend Charles Nordoff and James Hall's "Bounty" trilogy of historical novels.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next