View previous topic | View next topic

Heartbreak

Page 1 of 17
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

'yorz
857015.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Including tonight I have now 6 days to see if doglet responds to the course of antibiotics that the vet gave him this afternoon. The vet didn't think it would help, but perhaps little miracles do happen.
He said, "If you decide it's time to let him go, I can't fault you", which is reassuring in a way, but makes it so hard.

I'll cuddle him, feed him whatever he likes, take him to the river several times a day, and watch him like a hawk.

The fine line between considerable discomfort and pain is so difficult to discern when emotions run so high. I always wanted quality to be paramount, and not let my own wishes get in the way.

I guess the time has arrived to make sure that he doesn't get to the point where he will suffer.
It's so hard.

I will keep you posted.

CB27
857017.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote

I feel for you, I had a similar situation with my cat a few years back and it's heart wrenching.

Spike
857018.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote

<<<Hugs>>> to both of you.

Strawberry
857024.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote

i'm sorry for Yorz and Eeyore.

Last edited by Strawberry on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Janet H
857060.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Oh, hard luck. Grim news indeed.

Spud McLaren
857084.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Oh, bugger. What can be said in a situation like this? You know what I want to say, but there aren't the words. I hope the old lad pulls round.

AlmondFacialBar
857096.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote

*hug* :-( At home we first had that with Archie the horse and later with Oscar the cat, and it sucked both times. :-( Sympathies, and make the best of these six days!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
857130.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, you lot. :) I think I've already resigned to the inevitable.
Even if the little lad perks up a bit, it's only for a short while, as the growth in his underbelly will cause increasing discomfort and very soon real pain. I want to stop it before it gets there.
He just swallowed the first pill with half a beef pie. Seems quite content with that.

It's reassuring that I can post here. I rang a few friends and that's very upsetting and distressing. Lots of people here have known him for as long as he is with me, and they love him to bits.
Well, you have known him as long as I've been on this forum.

Edit: I wrote 'was', while he still 'is'.

Last edited by 'yorz on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sadurian Mike
857133.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote

My thoughts are with you, 'yorz. Especially as I have a horrible feeling that young Gloria isn't too far from the same sort of situation.

'yorz
857144.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, and sorry to hear that, Mike. Pity the two never met. I like to think they'd have had quite a nice mad half hour together.
Daft dogs :)

Edit - sorry if I sounded offhanded, Mike. Must have been the whiskey kicking in. Rarely drink the stuff, but needed it now.
It's a horrible thing to have hanging over your head.

Jenny
857316.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Oh I'm sorry to hear that 'yorz (and Mike).

It's hard to lose a much-loved animal companion.

plach
857319.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear that yorz. I have a Husky that is almost 13. So far okay but I dread the day. It's so tough, wish I had words to make it easier.

Lukecash
857349.  Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote

'yorz,

I know it's hard-but keep in mind one thing: Doglet is trusting you to do the right thing. I think one of the reasons Dogs did join up with human kind was because they knew Humans would be with them until the end.

In the wild, when A dog gets too old, it's more or less abandoned by its pack. Humans will stay with their pals until the final breath.

Even doglet does get a little better-it would be a sweeter mercy to release him feeling good.

I know it sucks, and it will be painful, and I wish both of you the easiest path on this final journey.

filofax
857370.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote

I'm so sorry 'Yorz. My Spot is heading towards 14, and, like Mike, I fear we won't be far behind you and doglet. I am dreading the day, and I hope I have the strength and the judgment to call it when the time is right.

My beloved childhood dog lived to 17. My parents had to have her put to sleep after I had left home so I didn't live through the experience directly. Afterwards my mother confessed that she wished she had done it a little earlier, that the last few days of Sam's life were more for my mother than for the dog, and she now feels guilty about it.

I wish there was something practical that I could do. All I can do is wish you courage and strength on this hard trip you will both be taking. Kiss that dog's nose for me.

'yorz
857429.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote

Of all the lovely words you sent me, these made me pause and think:

Quote:
Even doglet does get a little better-it would be a sweeter mercy to release him feeling good.

It really assuages the feeling of guilt.
And it may perhaps may help some of you in the future, when in a similar situation.

Page 1 of 17
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next