View previous topic | View next topic

User Wildlife Pics

Page 1 of 21
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Jenny
830588.  Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote

I'm repeating the post I made on the Landscape picture thread here:

This is a lovely thread, but alas it's getting a bit long. However, it's harder to trim than most threads, so I thought I'd consult with the regular posters on it.

These are the options:

I can split the thread from a particular post (I have been splitting a lot of other long threads from July 1st) and delete all the posts before it. This is the easy option.

I can delete all the posts that aren't pictures, which means you would lose comments that have been made on your pictures. This is actually a royal pain to do, because so many of these pictures are oversized that I have to scroll from side to side on all the posts in order to find the little box to tick to say the post should be removed so that I can be sure there is no picture with the post. The other option - deleting non-picture posts individually - takes even longer.

I can ask you guys to go back a few pages and delete your own non-picture posts (or picture posts if you aren't bothered about them being here).

Any opinions please? I will delete the discussion afterwards for space-saving purposes.

Southpaw
830610.  Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Split!

strukkanurv
830669.  Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote

I agree. You do enough as it is, Jenny.

Neotenic
830680.  Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote

How's about this for a suggestion - if people do have pictures that they'd like to display in perpetuity, we could set up a communal 'QI Gallery' account on Flickr, or whatever, and host the pictures there with a single, stickified linky.

Additional submissions could be made on the thread, along with any discussion/effusive praise, then the thread could be pared down and the new entries submitted to the Gallery every once in a while.

It is just a suggestion - especially because I'm not entirely convinced I want to serve as administrator, and I don't want to dump it in Jenny's lap either - but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Jenny
830943.  Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote

That is an excellent suggestion Neo. I'll leave this discussion here for a while to give other people a chance to come in on it/offer to set up the Gallery. I like the idea of making it sticky so we can leave it up there with the Blogs and Websites thread.

'yorz
830981.  Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote

All for it.

Southpaw
831803.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote

A couple of hours spent crouched on a sun-baked hillside this morning - ah the joys of a day off - trying to get a decent shot of some skylarks. They were far too skittish, but this fella was bombing about the place yelling and I managed to get a few decent shots:

It's a Curlew, by the way, and after listening to him say it - 'CURL-EW! CURL-EW! CURL-EW!' - all morning, I'm not likely to forget it either.

Spike
831863.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Great pics of the curlew, Southpaw.

Bit jealous in fact...

Last edited by Spike on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
831865.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Quite stunning.

'yorz
831890.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote

In awe.

tetsabb
831891.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote

If it had been near Hastings, it would have been in Ore.

Cracking pics though

Leith
831900.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote

That's very well caught, Southpaw. I've watched curlew feeding before, but never had a good view of one in flight. Just out of curiosity, may I ask what sort of range those were taken at?

Leith
831901.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
This is a lovely thread, but alas it's getting a bit long. However, it's harder to trim than most threads, so I thought I'd consult with the regular posters on it.

The splitting option sounds fine to me, Jenny. I made my posts on the assumption the thread would be trimmed again at some point, and while I've enjoyed looking back through the thread at other people's pictures now and again, for me, it's nicer to see new pictures. I'd worry that more people might be discouraged from contributing their own pictures if the thread became a high-maintenance, permanent gallery with space at a premium.

If any of the other options gain ground, though, I'm happy to clear out my previous posts (I think we can edit our posts to remove content but can't delete them entirely, yes?).

Jenny
831904.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote

I am not sure Leith - I can always delete them but I expect my super-moderatorial powers grant me that ability. Anyway, the thread is split now so it doesn't really matter!

strawhat
831905.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote

I have seen quiet a few Kestrels recently, hunting very close to the road on my way to work along the M1 and the A6135. I would love to get out of the car and watch them, unfortunately I get paid only when I bother to turn up so... Instead I nearly crash into other people as I try to get a good look.

Page 1 of 21
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next