View previous topic | View next topic

famous people dying in 2014

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

gruff5
1091157.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote

Is it my imagination or has there been a lot more famous (mostly actors) people dying this year?

Did the departed know something we don't?

I think we should be told.

Jenny
1091203.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote

I think that when famous people die, afterwards they kind of mentally get shuffled into a pile of 'people who are dead' so we forget what year they died. I'm not sure it's any higher a number this year than any other year - they're just fresher in our minds.

djgordy
1091210.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote

As one gets older, the "famous" deaths probably register more as they have been in one's consciousness for longer.

'yorz
1091212.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote

A sign of old age, I fear. The amount of youngsters who wouldn't have heard of Ms Bacall or Mr Attenborough and other well-knowns will be legion. Us old farts know more names*, some more and some less famous. You might not have thought of several of the familiar names before they died, but when they do, they will come back to the surface.

*on the other hand - a shitload of rappers might snuff it tomorrow and I honestly won't know who they are. It's all relative.

tetsabb
1091253.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
a shitload of rappers

Is that the official collective noun?

AlmondFacialBar
1091255.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Indeed a Facebook friend's status last night read who the fuck is Richard Attenborough, and she is indeed in her twenties.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
1091257.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Also, of course, there are a lot more famous people around these days. Back in the 19th century the only famous people were the Queen. Charles Dickens, the Duke of Wellington, Florence Nightingale and God. Nowadays you can hardly move for them.

'yorz
1091258.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote

There is a vast difference between famous and notorious.
Somehow the latter gained the same status as the former.

Troux
1091270.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote

I happened to be reading up on Mr. Attenborough and his current state just a couple of months ago, and I remember thinking there was no chance he'd be around for the next Jurassic Park (my introduction to him).

I'd like to nod to Jenny and djgordy's points, as I believe those are spot-on. I think fame has become more fleeting for the newest generation of public faces, so I think we'll eventually be losing many more once-famous people, but we'll have far fewer legends.

'yorz
1091271.  Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Wait till I pop my clogs.

Alfred E Neuman
1091279.  Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
'yorz wrote:
a shitload of rappers

Is that the official collective noun?

It very definitely should be.

crissdee
1091281.  Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Indeed a Facebook friend's status last night read who the fuck is Richard Attenborough, and she is indeed in her twenties.

AlmondFacialBar

O.M.F.G!!!!!!!

NinOfEden
1091382.  Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

O.M.F.G!!!!!!!

Wow - I'm ashamed of my age band.

swot
1091392.  Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote

I had a brief moment of dispair when I saw 'Attenborough dead' and feared the worst for a dear documentary maker, but I do know who Richard Attenborough is, even though I think I've only ever seen him in Jurassic Park.

AlmondFacialBar
1091462.  Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
crissdee wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

O.M.F.G!!!!!!!

Wow - I'm ashamed of my age band.

...says the person who was surprised at the popularity of Robin Williams. ;-)

swot wrote:
I had a brief moment of dispair when I saw 'Attenborough dead' and feared the worst for a dear documentary maker, but I do know who Richard Attenborough is, even though I think I've only ever seen him in Jurassic Park.

It probably says rather a lot about my priority interests that my first thought also had to do with the mortality of Attenborough Minor. In the sense of, oh shit, he's not getting any younger either.

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next