View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 16 - The Immortal Bard

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

melbournerebel
905480.  Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
titbits (tidbits? Pfft)

Apologies :) Being Australian my cultural influences sadly have a tendency to straddle Brit and Yank.

exnihilo
905493.  Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:

In fairness to all those involved, it may well be the case that there was more Shakespeare-related titbits (tidbits? Pfft) in the original script, but for whatever reason it didn't actually work during the recording, and was therefore edited out.

And, to be further fair, the wrongly attributed words were from Mr Fry's mind, not the cards he was given.

brunel
905510.  Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:
I was expecting more actual Shakespeare-related tidbits.

In fairness to all those involved, it may well be the case that there was more Shakespeare-related titbits (tidbits? Pfft) in the original script, but for whatever reason it didn't actually work during the recording, and was therefore edited out.

I have to agree that it felt as if there was something missing from the show, but for some reason those parts had been removed.
It felt as if there were some interesting points that had been touched upon - such as Shakespeare's plays being the first written examples of certain words, or the potential for discussing which plays are now thought to have been co-authored with other playwrights.

Added to that, what is also notable is that no mention was made of Shakespeare's sonnets, which seems slightly odd. Surely there was the opportunity to discuss that volume of work too, even if normally it is his plays that are remembered?

RLDavies
905716.  Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote

Funnily enough, tidbit/titbit is the current topic under discussion at Separated by a Common Language.

Tidbit was the original form (= choice bit), but it was soon usurped by titbit (= small bit), probably because tid was a very restricted dialect word.

http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/tidbits-and-titbits.html

djgordy
905862.  Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote

There used to be a magazine called Tit-bits.

The lady on the cover of this 1951 edition is Joan Collins.

It was founded in 1881 and lasted until 1984. It lost the hypen in 1979. The word titmouse for the birds comes from the 14th century; "tit" just meaning something small.

suze
905992.  Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote

Tit-Bits wrote:
Joan Collins - See 'Jerks While You Work'

I imagine that Miss Collins was promoting some kind place of workplace exercise routine. As of 1951, did British people know what an American meant if he called you "a jerk", or if he referred to "jerking off"?

Confucius
908446.  Fri May 11, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote

Digiguide has Immortal Bard XL penciled in for May 19 at 22:20 on BBC2

djgordy
910386.  Sun May 20, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote

I will catch up with the XL on iPlayer later today but it did occur to me yesterday that QI may well have missed the most interesting thing about Shakespeare. Namely, that if you tilt his head back it reveals the switch that opens the secret entrance to the Bat Cave.

swot
910388.  Sun May 20, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
Funnily enough, tidbit/titbit is the current topic under discussion at Separated by a Common Language.

Tidbit was the original form (= choice bit), but it was soon usurped by titbit (= small bit), probably because tid was a very restricted dialect word.

http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/tidbits-and-titbits.html

That's interesting. In Made in America, Bill Bryson says the original word was 'titbit', which was then bowdlerised to 'tidbi't because tit is a rude word. I can't remember the etymology he gave for 'titbit' though.

Ian Dunn
910389.  Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote

I thought that the XL version was better, especially the Macbeth section.

Bondee
910418.  Sun May 20, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote

Was the photo that they used to represent the "loony from Newcastle" a young Ross Noble?

Ian Dunn
910439.  Sun May 20, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Was the photo that they used to represent the "loony from Newcastle" a young Ross Noble?

That was Ross yes (although technically speaking he's from Cramlington, not Newcastle).

Bondee
910440.  Sun May 20, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne... Refers to himself as a Geordie... Good enough for me.

Ian Dunn
910441.  Sun May 20, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Born in Newcastle upon Tyne... Refers to himself as a Geordie... Good enough for me.

My mistake.

coldalarm
910653.  Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote

I watched the XL and I thought the additions were fairly good, but the episode didn't quite work for me.

It seemed to be frequently punctuated with awkward silences.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next