View previous topic | View next topic

Space as a QI researcher

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

selfprofessedgenius
42207.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Hey
Ive been sitting watching the series all year and thinking god the people that research this are blooming geniuses but upon reading the site it says that your just average sods who given time can find something you didnt know

I was wondering are there any open positions as a researcher for QI

eggshaped
42215.  Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote

In my experience, the QI elves are blooming geniuses, they're just very very modest ones.

The best way to get noticed by the head-elf is to continue to post on this site. Keep coming up with well written, well researched posts about quite interesting topics, and if you're interesting enough, and keen enough, the elves may come knocking.

The first sign that the elves may be close is that your shoelaces (and brandy bottles) go missing in the night.

Gray
42231.  Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote

The Elves are just normal people, you say?

We've been cheated! You'll be telling us next that they don't wear hats with tinkly bells, or anything!

MatC
42233.  Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote

Don’t wear anything? Ha - doesn’t surprise me! That producer’s entire career has been grounded in lubriciousness, from “Quote...Unquote” onwards.

Mostly Harmless
42254.  Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

grizzly
42346.  Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote

Does each elf have his/her own speciality?

djgordy
42347.  Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote

Mostly harmless wrote:
I think it must be a tough job, and takes a certain cast of character as well as curiosity and attention to detail.

I think the word you're searching for is 'nerd'. ;-)

swot
42576.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Don't diss nerds! One day we'll rise up and rule the world!

Y'know, once we've finished watching every episode of Red Dwarf backwards to find out if there's a hidden meaning...

I'd love to be a QI elf though. Just for the look on the Customs man's face when I present my passport.

Flash
42621.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote

selfprofessedgenius - there's an article called "Have you got what it takes to be a Q.I. Researcher?" in the "How's the show made" section of Andy O'Neil's website at www.givealandaviesmorepoints.com which may help.

djgordy
42623.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Don't diss nerds! One day we'll rise up and rule the world!

According to a certain Mr. W. Gates of Seattle, the nerds already rule the world.

Mostly Harmless
42625.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mostly Harmless
42658.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Natalie
42669.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

The thing with being a researcher is (not that I am one), that on this site, sometimes people spot one mistake, or what they thought was a mistake, and massively slag off the research that they did. This mostly seems to end in tears, and I reckon we should all just assume that they are right. (Even if we know they are not) ;) .

gerontius grumpus
42681.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote

But the philosophy should be to question just about everything.
We should accept that apparent mistakes can occur and not slag off the researchers massively but perhaps nip at their heels, like terriers.

Gray
42697.  Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote

It's perfectly fair to question the questions (and the research), otherwise how will knowledge ever increase.

It's much better, IMHO, to take away the attitude of QI, even if you never remember (or, god forbid, believe) any of the actual information. Always look for yourself, always ask just one more question, even if it means detention for cheek/insolence, or having to stay up all night looking for that fact you know you read in a book some years ago, but which is now vital to your sleepfulness.

I've often thought it must be a bit boring not being even slightly nerdy...

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next