View previous topic | View next topic

Lawful Post-Mortem Copulation

Page 1 of 1

'yorz
905625.  Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote

In Egypt, a law is being proposed that will allow a man to have sexual intercourse with his wife, up to 6 hours after her death. Probably so he can finally have a go at it without her withering comments. In accordance with Equal Rights, such right will also be given to a recently bereaved widow. [How long does rigor mortis last?]
click.

Gavin
905628.  Tue May 01, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote

That is incredibly scary!

'yorz
905629.  Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote

Not really. Just state-sanctioned necrophilia.

Moosh
905630.  Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote

Whilst this is undoubtably icky, and not something I'd want to contemplate myself, it doesn't especially bother me.

What does both me is the sentence in the linked article that says: "The group is also contesting another draft law that would permit a 14-year-old girl to marry. Currently the age limit is 18."

Allowing people to have sex with their spouse for 6 hours after they die: weird but not important.

Allowing people to marry 14 year old girls: far worse and far more important a story.

'yorz
905634.  Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote

I spotted that, too. I'd hope that if a girl weren't consenting, the Law would protect her as well.

Neotenic
905635.  Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote

Hmmm.

New Egyptian government, which happens to be majority Islamist, wants to pass laws legalising necrophilia and paedophilia? Does this not set anybody else's alarm bells ringing?

Is it not in some people's interests to paint an Islamic government - especially one formed in a post-revolution atmosphere - as being 'Mad Mullahs', or something similar? Maybe the people who were involved in the deposed regime, perhaps?

The other line in that article from The Week that is getting my spidey-sense tingling is this;

Quote:
On Twitter, several users have asked whether it is a hoax. But reputable Egyptian news sites continue to report the story.

Which I think can be read as 'I've done a bit of googling, and it is definitely being reported' - 'which isn't quite the same thing as 'I've called the Egyptian government and they've confirmed the bill exists'

Then I found this blog, and - incredibly - this article in the Daily Wail of all places. The Wail, I might note, actually took the step of at least calling the Egyptian embassy, who flatly denied it.

Seriously folks - when an article pops up saying that Muslims want to have sex with corpses and kids, I really do think the default reaction should not really be 'That's horrible', but 'That's bollocks'.

'yorz
905638.  Tue May 01, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote

Stand corrected. Only excuse it that it was early and my nebulous brain didn't even think to check. I just thought it was totally preposterous, but must admit that nowadays hardly anything surprises me anymore.
So am pleased you did bother to check, Neo.

NB: the accompanying picture in that article made me snort.

gruff5
905639.  Tue May 01, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Seriously folks - when an article pops up saying that Muslims want to have sex with corpses and kids, I really do think the default reaction should not really be 'That's horrible', but 'That's bollocks'.

Thank you, Neotenic, for introducing some sanity.

Perhaps we should look at the Christians, who I believe (unchecked factoid)in Spain, Mexico and the Vatican City can lawfully marry a girl off at 13?

Neotenic
905643.  Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote

Indeed, we needn't necessarily look to far afield for bizarre legislative attempts.

If the Egyptian bill has any basis in fact at all, it will be that it has been submitted to the parliament by one of its members, much like Private Members Bills here - and you don't have to look too hard to find some weirdness there.

This one, for example, wanted to make St George's Day a bank holiday in England but not Wales, and St David's Day a bank holiday in Wales but not England. No, that's not confusing or awkward at all.

I'm sure even more oddness can be found in there - and also in the Early Day Motions - but the point still stands that introducing a bill to parliament is just the fiirst stage in forming legislation, and a bill - almost any bill not introduced by the government - is far more likely to fail than succeed.

djgordy
905660.  Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Members of the Egyptian parliament responded to the uproar caused by Egyptian and Arab media reports about a new law that would allow a husband to have sex with his dead wife within six hours after her death and denied existence of any such draft.

“This is indecent and nonsense. The whole issue is unacceptable. It is even unacceptable to give any statement to media about this issue,” Islamist MP Mamdouh Ismail told Al Arabiya.

The news about passing the so-called ‘Farewell Intercourse’ law by the country’s Islamist-dominated parliament was first reported by Egyptian state-run al-Ahram newspaper and Egyptian ON TV on Tuesday. It was picked up and analyzed by Al Arabiya English a day later, following which international media picked up the story.

The People’s Assembly Secretary General, Samy Mahran, denied to Al Arabiya the existence of such draft law. “I have never heard of anything in this regard,” he said.

Egyptian MP Hisham Ahmed Hanafi told the London-based Asharq al-Awsat on Saturday that “such reports are completely false and aim mainly to deform the image of the Egyptian parliament.”

www.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/04/30/211238.html

exnihilo
905696.  Tue May 01, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:

This one, for example, wanted to make St George's Day a bank holiday in England but not Wales, and St David's Day a bank holiday in Wales but not England. No, that's not confusing or awkward at all.

What's confusing or awkward about that? Why shouldn't each constituent nation take its saint's day as a bank holiday. Each one gets only one, so it all balances out. And it's not as though each place doesn't already have various local holidays not observed in others.

Oceans Edge
905711.  Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote

St Patrick's Day is still a Provincial Holiday in Newfoundland.

Quote:
Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador - 5 nationwide and 1 provincial statutory holiday.[13] Thanksgiving is not a statutory holiday. Canada Day is not a statutory holiday as July 1 is Memorial Day.
Armistice Day
St. Patrick's Day (March 17), St. George's Day (April 23), Discovery Day (Monday nearest June 24) and Orangemen's Day (July 12) have not been observed as statutory holidays since 1992. They are, however, observed by the provincial government.

Unlike most other provinces, there is no province-wide holiday on the first Monday in August. It may be seen as redundant due to the Royal St. John's Regatta, which is observed as a civic holiday in St. John's on the first Wednesday in August (or, in case of poor weather, the next suitable day thereafter). Harbour Grace and Labrador City have a similar holiday for their regatta in late July. All other municipalities are entitled to designate one day a year as a civic holiday, however many do not take advantage of this.

You want confusing... you should see the local boys play "Regatta Roulette". As Wednesday *might* be a holiday if the regatta goes ahead, you go out drinking Tuesday night betting you won't have to go to work in the morning. But if the weather turns foul and the regatta postponed ... you lose and have to show up. LOL

</tangent>

Jenny
905766.  Tue May 01, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote

There is a very nasty trend at the moment in the USA among people of a strongly right-wing persuasion to post claims about what "Islamists" do, in an attempt to whip up feelings about Muslims. I'm not saying Muslims never do dreadful things - of course they do, as do people who call themselves Christians and Jews and <insert religion of choice here> - but this is all to gather feelings of support about a potential attack on Iran, IMHO.

My daughter-in-law's mother, who is one othe abovementioned people of a strongly right-wing persuasion, recently posted this video on Facebook, which is just one example of the kind of thing that's becoming increasingly commonplace.

cornixt
905797.  Tue May 01, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote

My dad keeps sending me silly "This is what Muslims do! See how depraved they are!" emails. I've debunked every single one he has sent so far, none of them are true. The latest one is of a boy having his arm run over, supposedly as punishment for stealing food but actually as a street performance. Ironically, the people who make/send this crap are the ones who complain that we should have harsher penalties for criminals.

Page 1 of 1