View previous topic | View next topic

AVS, malware, software discussion.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Arcane
904858.  Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote

Ok, somehow I managed to get the computer to do a system restore; I was able to download Malwarebytes from when I tried to load it the other day, and MSE's has been downloaded and is waiting to go after Malwarebytes has finished.

It's 10 minutes in a full scan and so far nothing has been found. Should I be worried?

Arcane
904860.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote

Somehow, I managed to totally fumble my way into fixing it. XD

I'd had trouble shutting down the computer (probably from turning it on and off so many times!!!), so the laptop actually diverted to a system restore fairly much by itself (I think XD). So after it came back on again, the downloads of Malwarebytes and MSE automatically started which gave me hope that the system restore had bypassed TS, I ran a full scan of Malwarebytes just to be safe, then ran a couple of scans of MSE.

The computer is now working!

Talk about your epic luck.

Thank you everyone for your help... I still can't manage to get safe mode working, but that's for another day!! In future, I'll know to do a system restore if something like this pops up again but now I have Malwarebytes and MSE in place, hopefully not.

One very happy daughter who has her laptop back, and one very happy mum who has fixed it.

Jenny
904994.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote

Oh good! It's amazing what you can accomplish by just playing about with something (though that's what got you into trouble in the first place...)

Efros
905021.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote

Good Job!

sandman2000k
905074.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Good to see you got it working.

Oceans Edge
905075.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote

WTG Arcane - as big a bugger as it is and you'd rather not HAVE to deal with it - it's a great feeling dealing with it and succeeding isn't it?

*smiles*

Janet H
905085.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Barvo - well done! Good work Batman.

Now load free AVG and all teh other anti virii you can lay your hands on! (With the possible exception of Norton, which is indeed a pain in the wotsit, IMHO too)

Efros
905086.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote

AVG is now also a PITA.

Arcane
905099.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Thank you all *does tiny curtsey*. For now I'll stick with MSE and Malwarebytes, I do have a slot from my Trend Micro subscription that I could use (up to three computers) but that's also a PITA, despite it protecting my PC perfectly for several years. Hmmm.

Efros or anyone else, do you know anything about Trend Micro? Do you think MSE would do just as good a job? Trend micro costs me quite a bit and I've heard that some of these AVS slow your computer down... Is that true?

Oceans Edge
905106.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Matt from http://remove-malware.com/ does a lot of step by step virus / malware removal revies on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrizos

That was really where I went for help when I had my troubles, I found a lot of very usable and educational information on the website and the videos. Almost everything I know about virus and malware protection I learned over there. He doesn't recommend per se any particular product, but he reviews most of the programmes - both paid and free and talks about the upsides and downsides of most available programmes.

There are quite a few out there that do really slow things down - I was running a Zone Alarm package for years quite happily paying for it - and it worked fine, but like Norton, it got so big and resource hungry that it really bogged my system down (not running a particularly large or fast machine). Of course my system picked up the root kit in between Zone Alarm expiring and setting up a new protection system.

Moosh
905110.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote

I'm running paid-for Zonealarm AV and firewall, but that's only because my dad bought it and got three licenses so he gave me one. It is pretty good, but not better enough than free ones to be worth paying for in my opinion.

I also run another firewall, another anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, anti-adware and zero-day response software, all free. But that's just because I'm paranoid.

Last edited by Moosh on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Efros
905117.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote

MSSE is rated as probably the best free solution and aas good as a lot of the paid for solutions. Check out this little report here. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

Over the years I have used AVG, it became bloated and annoying, moved to Avast, it became bloated and annoying moved to MSSE. At various places of employ we have always had effective but intrusive AV software, Trend, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky. The major issue was the increasing impact the software had on the system, combination of massive updates and underspecced machines, the machines weren't underspecced for their function just for their function + the AV shit going on in the background.

Arcane
905124.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Hmm. I shall think about that when my trend subscription expires in a few months. I could do without having to pay that money, and I suspect its updates crash my PC sometimes.

nitwit02
905141.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
My biased opinion of Norton products is that they are the work of the devil! Intrusive and resource hogs and I don't let them anywhere near my machines. I wouldn't tell someone to give up a paid for AV solution for a free one however. So I'm not really being much help!

Actually Efros, that is quite helpful. My computer always seems to be doing scans of various kinds with Norton 360 and the fan is going full blast. Also, as you say, it uses massive resources and consequently, the machine takes ages to boot.

It is paid for through another couple of months, then I must decide whether to renew ....

RLDavies
905198.  Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote

I love AVG, both free and paid-for. I've got the full version and also the "AVG Tuneup" add-on, which is a great disk cleaner and tweaker.

Far better than Norton, which I used to use.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next