View previous topic | View next topic

letter puzzle

Page 1 of 1

edstephenson
1018101.  Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote

I had a hell of a time solving this simple-looking puzzle from a local paper. Maybe some of you would like to try it.

Larger image: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/kknjn.jpg

The task is to fill each row and column with the letters A, B, C, D and blank space, in any order. No character (meaning the four letters and blank space) may be repeated in any row or column. The letters around the edge indicate the first character in for that row or column, but note: the blank space does not count here, so the first box in may contain the given letter or the blank space: in the latter case the given letter would be the second box in.

To illustrate, I'll identify the boxes by row number followed by column number. Box 11 may contain B or the blank, in which case box 12 contains B. Similarly for 51 and 52, and for 44 and 54 (but in this last case the solution is obvious). The blank space is the fly in the ointment. For example, box 33 cannot contain B, C, or D, but the answer is not necessarily A: it could be blank. Similarly, 43 may contain B or D or blank.

I confess that I had to resort to trial and error at one stage, but I soon encountered an impossibility allowing me to go back and change the guess.

Have fun.

zomgmouse
1018146.  Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Did I win?

edstephenson
1018154.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote

No, but it looks like you had fun :-)

chrisboote
1018292.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote

It's quite easy really
(use _ for space or you'll go mad)
In each box, write what it could be, then you'll find quickly that some boxes only have one option
Eliminate that option from other boxes in the same row/column and voila!

Code:
                    A   
  +---+---+---+---+---+
B | _ | B | C | D | A | 
  +---+---+---+---+---+
  | D | A | B | C | _ |
  +---+---+---+---+---+
C | C | D | A | _ | B | B
  +---+---+---+---+---+
A | A | _ | D | B | C | C
  +---+---+---+---+---+
B | B | C | _ | A | D | 
  +---+---+---+---+---+
            D   A     

chrisboote
1018293.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote

(a nice little puzzle which I will shamelessly steal 8-) )

Page 1 of 1