View previous topic | View next topic

Assalamualaikum Ehadikumullah

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

hassan el kebir
904432.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
There does seem to be disapproval of music in some sections of Islamic thinking. The Ayatollah Khomeini is quoted on p211 of the QI book 'If Ignorance is Bliss...'
Quote:
Music is no different from opium

As I imagine him not to have been a fan of drugs in general, I'll take that as a 'no'.
However, as mentioned above, music plays a big role in the ceremonies of some of the Sufi sects, along with dancing, too.
However, I have not (yet) read the Qu'ran, so I do not know if that has anything definitive on the matter.
As with so many other matters of religion, it is probably a question of interpretation.

Well there's about as much opium eating in Egypt as there is smoking and Egyptians do seem to enjoy their music. I'm not sure what, if anything, that proves.

Arcane
904439.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
Arcane wrote:
At the Buddhist institute where I am hoping to go to a retreat some time, there is a rule "to refrain from playing music, singing or dancing with abandon", to quote directly, if you are staying there as a volunteer. From my limited understanding, as a lay person who follows more than the first five precepts, and as monks/nuns (number 7) that this is also the case personally.

I would have thought that was more of a way of keeping the institute itself tranquil, though. Would a Buddhist monk be okay with music, singing and dancing with abandon in a place where that's appropriate?

From what I can gather on my brief research, there are five precepts for lay people, seven or eight for those who are those who are more strict or leading an ascetic lifestyle, and then 10 for novice monks and nuns, which then increase to 227 rules for monks, (bhikkhus) and 311 for nuns (bhikkhunis). If you are undertaking a formal retreat, you are considered a lay person I guess so that is why the seven or eight precepts are enforced at the institute. And it is in a bushland setting, so yet, it is also very tranquil, extremely quiet, and loud music etc would carry a long way, therefore disturbing the monks and nuns (one of which I know personally, and my aunt was also a nun there a few years ago before she left the order).

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2