View previous topic | View next topic

Assalamualaikum Ehadikumullah

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Akram Fakir
904113.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote

Assalamualaikum Ehadikumullah
I am a little member of band team "Athoba" from Bangladesh.I have one question for only Muslim Brothers.
Is it Haram singing in Islam?I found differences between the opinions.So i came in a cultural forum.What do you think?

<a href="http://www.hezbuttawhed.com/component/content/article/1-displayhome/1-the-call-of-islam/">Islam</a>

CB27
904125.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote

Welcome to Qi.

I'm not a Muslim, but I'm aware there is a split among those who believe music is not Haraam, and those who do, and there are even disagreements as to what's acceptable and not acceptable.

I think it should be up to you to question whether the God and prophets you believe in are against singing, or is it the whim of other men who expect you to believe in their interpretation of your faith rather than your own.

hassan el kebir
904199.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote

wa 'alaykum is salaam wa rahmat allahi wa barakaatu.

Surely, if singing was Haraam that would present certain technical difficulties for our Sufi brethren.

I think the answer is probably that it is only forbidden by the more fundamentalist, nutter sects. The rest of us can get on and enjoy the music, alhum dellelah.

Jenny
904247.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote

Interesting question, and I will move this to What Fresh Hell Is This, where it will be better placed I think.

Why should singing be forbidden? It seems to be one of the earliest art forms of humans. Why should singing be any more morally questionable than, say, making music with instruments?

Sadurian Mike
904256.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote

Bear in mind that some religions appear to go out of their way to prevent wild enjoyment, probably intending that worshippers concentrate on inner spirituality instead.

One thing that springs to mind is an early form of Calvinism where musical instruments and non-regulated songs were banned.

cornixt
904282.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Bear in mind that some religions appear to go out of their way to prevent wild enjoyment

There's quite a few that want to prevent ANY enjoyment. There are still towns in the US where organised dances are banned.

Strawberry
904286.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote

i won't answer the question as i'm female and not a Muslim. But welcome to QI, Akram Fakir.

bemahan
904316.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
i won't answer the question as i'm female and not a Muslim. But welcome to QI, Akram Fakir.

My brother-in-law is a Muslim, and I look like a man but that doesn't really count, so I shall also just say a cheery "hello".

CB27
904321.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote

TBH, I don't recall many, if any, religions that ban music and fun in their initial form, it tends to come along later when you get "sects" when people disagree on their interpretation of the initial religion.

Arcane
904326.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote

At the Buddhist institute where I am hoping to go to a retreat some time, there is a rule "to refrain from playing music, singing or dancing with abandon", to quote directly, if you are staying there as a volunteer. From my limited understanding, as a lay person who follows more than the first five precepts, and as monks/nuns (number 7) that this is also the case personally.

Sparkyweasel
904369.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote

I hope these interesting, informative and educated replies will make you think again about the wisdom and etiquette of asking for answers only from 'Muslim brothers'.

Neotenic
904385.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Bear in mind that some religions appear to go out of their way to prevent wild enjoyment

HL Mencken wrote:
Puritanism is the haunting fear that somebody, somewhere, may be happy

Moosh
904387.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote

Arcane wrote:
At the Buddhist institute where I am hoping to go to a retreat some time, there is a rule "to refrain from playing music, singing or dancing with abandon", to quote directly, if you are staying there as a volunteer. From my limited understanding, as a lay person who follows more than the first five precepts, and as monks/nuns (number 7) that this is also the case personally.

I would have thought that was more of a way of keeping the institute itself tranquil, though. Would a Buddhist monk be okay with music, singing and dancing with abandon in a place where that's appropriate?

tetsabb
904407.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote

There does seem to be disapproval of music in some sections of Islamic thinking. The Ayatollah Khomeini is quoted on p211 of the QI book 'If Ignorance is Bliss...'
Quote:
Music is no different from opium

As I imagine him not to have been a fan of drugs in general, I'll take that as a 'no'.
However, as mentioned above, music plays a big role in the ceremonies of some of the Sufi sects, along with dancing, too.
However, I have not (yet) read the Qu'ran, so I do not know if that has anything definitive on the matter.
As with so many other matters of religion, it is probably a question of interpretation.

CB27
904414.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote

This is an example of what I meant about the difference between following a religion and following how someone else interprets that religion.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next