View previous topic | View next topic

Divine wind

Page 1 of 1

gerontius grumpus
42168.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Kami khaze or something like that.
Is there an interesting story to tell about the invasion fleet being beaten back by the weather?

Possibly an opportunity for good old British toilet humour.

tetsabb
42173.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote

A friend of mine spent a long while trying to find the origin of the word khazi in its toilet sense, but to no avail.
Any advice?

gerontius grumpus
42175.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Try looking up words used by theBritish army in India.
It might stem from Urdu or one of the other Indian languages.

djgordy
42177.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Khazi comes from the Cockney carsey, which in turn comes from the Italian Casa meaning 'house'. This is from the days of outdoor toilets of course.

eggshaped
42178.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote

It seems to have come from carsey, which also meant a den or brothel, from the italian Casa - House.

But that in turn leads to the question of the new spelling. I assume it came from the Raj, and a play on the word Khasi, but others may know better?

djgordy
42179.  Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

The association of Khazi with the Raj comes from Carry on Up the Khyber when Kenneth Williams' character was called the Khazi. Coincidentally though, Khazi is a family name in the Middle East so there may have been some association made by Kiplingesque tommies.

Amusingly, given the Khazi in Carry on Up The Khyber, the ruler of Afghanistan following the toppling of the Taleban was called Hamid Karzai.

gerontius grumpus
43162.  Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote

I thought I had seen an explanation of khazi as a Hindi or Urdu word in 'Quartered Safe Out Here' by George MacDonald Fraser, but returning to the book, it appears that I am mistaken.

Celebaelin
43260.  Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
A friend of mine spent a long while trying to find the origin of the word khazi in its toilet sense, but to no avail.
Any advice?

Didn't "Balderdash and Piffle" attribute khasi to the underground gay language Polari?

Having said that Polari borrows from other languages, principally Italian.

Interesting prog. by the way, trying to re-write the OED with some success - Plowmans Lunch, for example, which has been traced back to 1961 (previously 1970)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/wordhunt/

Page 1 of 1