Dynamite

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Celebaelin
47975.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote

partial pressure

Quote:
partial pressure n.

The pressure that one component of a mixture of gases would exert if it were alone in a container.

http://www.answers.com/topic/partial-pressure

So what I was talking about was a gas which was 100% O2 at a given pressure (not necessarily atmospheric) and all of that pressure is therefore exerted by the oxygen.

Come to think of it it's not a good or conventional way of expressing it but it is a quick way; 100% O2 at any given pressure would have been better.

samivel
47987.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote

I see. Thank you :)

bobofel
48346.  Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote

Were'nt we talking about dynamite?

How much dynamite would it take to destroy a small, 3 storey house? Would it depend on where/how it was placed?

Gray
48356.  Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote

It certainly would. You'd have to take into account the structural design and materials of the building's supporting walls and floors, and also the volume of the space into which the dynamite was installed, and how quickly the gases could get out of that space.

I've only ever managed to explode a catering-size can of baked beans with explosives, so that's probably not much help. If you're wondering, it made an interesting pointilliste spatter effect on the side of my friend's house, but for some reason his mother wasn't convinced of its artistic merit.

Flash
48363.  Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote

At the other end of the scale, research undertaken by physicists from the Centre for Explosion Studies at the University of Wales in Aberystwyth concluded that an explosion of the 2,500kg of gunpowder Guy Fawkes was found with would not only have destroyed Westminster Hall and the Abbey but would also have caused severe structural damage to buildings two-thirds of a mile away. It isn't certain that the gunpowder would have exploded at all, however; some historians believe that it had decayed chemically so as to be no longer dangerous at all.

Gray
48384.  Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Centre for Explosion Studies

Many comic pictures appear in my mind. Imagine the phone call to the buildings insurance people to get a quote: "...and what's the nature of your company's work?". Imagine the exam room at the end of term.

Fred has some first-hand experience of blowing up Houses of Parliament, I believe...

bobofel
48506.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote

Surely they would have to change location a lot

djgordy
48571.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Quote:

Many comic pictures appear in my mind.

I'd be very wary about going too near the party poppers at the Christmas party though.

mckeonj
48574.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Gray wrote:
Quote:

Many comic pictures appear in my mind.

I'd be very wary about going too near the party poppers at the Christmas party though.

This suggests a nice new thread, which I will now start.

bobofel
48762.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote

good for you, but now this thread will lose all its customers. That was a harsh business move, you bill gates like person.

soooooo, dynamite....

DELETED
48808.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

bobofel
49094.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Hence the common setup

Caradoc
49135.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote

bobofel wrote:

Hence the common setup

I would normally recomend a longer length of wire, but if you lack excitement in your life.

Gray
49172.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote

I watched a piste-manager one morning skiing casually along a ridge lighting sticks of (something or other) from his Galoise and tossing them nonchalantly into the potential avalanche drift which he'd coolly skied over a couple of seconds before.

Now that's a man's breakfast.

bobofel
49220.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote

what a great job

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next