View previous topic | View next topic

Dynamite

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mckeonj
47775.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote

The firework known as a 'sparkler' is in fact thermite and thus very dangerous.

Mr Grue
47780.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote

You'll be telling me next that mayonnaise is made from egg-yolk!

Tas
47781.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote

Everyone knows it is made from patted down Marmite....don't they?

:-)

Tas

bobofel
47787.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote

Mayonaise is a blander imitation of the great tartare sauce and deserves to be thrown against walls by lepers.

dr.bob
47805.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Of course it can be described. It is Marmite-brown. (Although, I am certain that you will not find THAT colour on an artists pallette

Nothing to do with the subject at hand, but I thought I'd just share with you an amusing game to play if you have some time to kill.

The game involves two players and a colour chart from some random paint supplier (dulux or crown are usually pretty good). Play proceeds as follows:

One player consults the colour chart and reads out a name of one of the colours. The other person then has to guess which common "rainbow" colour (red, orange, yellow, etc) is closest to this particular shade based solely on the name.

If you're really interested in playing it as a game rather than just killing time, you could probably award points for correct guesses and stuff. Can't say I've ever got that far :)

Tas
47811.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote

(Is colour blind, so I would hope to get lots an' lots of bonus points!)

Tas

bobofel
47815.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote

How does color blind work? what do you see? is it black and white?

I know that there are different types of color-blindedness but I would like to know how u see it.

Cut_Up_Angel
47825.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote

people who are colour blind have a lack of perceptual sensitivity to specific colours. its very rare to be completely colourblind.

Our eyes contain three different types of colour receptors - red, green and blue. We have black white receptors as well. the b/w receptors are much more sensitive than our colour receptors - which is why we find it hard to focus on colours in the dark.

People have colour blindness because they are lacking one or more of the colour receptors.

mckeonj
47826.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote

Saltpetre (sodium or potassium nitrate) is the major component of gunpowder. During the English Civil War the huge demand for it was met by fermenting animal and human urine in clay pots stoppered with straw. The very best quality powder was made with saltpetre prepared from the urine of an archbishop.
Google 'Saltpetre +urine' for lots of fascinating detail

bobofel
47827.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote

oooo thankyou. so someone might, say, see red as brown but anything else normally

Tas
47830.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote

Colour blindness is very difficult to describe to someone that is not. To me, I can tell colours apart, but have difficulty in telling exactly what the colour is. I could tell you that colour 'x' is not blue, as long as it was not purple, as I have problems with blue/purple. I also have difficulties with green/brown.
(Which is different to many, who are green/red colour blind).

We don't see in black and white, but do see in full-spectrum colour. It's just we don't know exactly what those colours are.

I have read somewhere that colour-blindness is normally a male thing, and there is a hypothesis that it is to do with hunting. I have no real problems seeing camoflagued people, for example, when air-softing, much to their chagrin!

Tas

mckeonj
47834.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote

Back on topic!
Another QI thing about Gunpowder here:
post 43118

bobofel
47835.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote

thankyou very much, that was quite interesting

Celebaelin
47839.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
I have read somewhere that colour-blindness is normally a male thing, and there is a hypothesis that it is to do with hunting. I have no real problems seeing camoflagued people, for example, when air-softing, much to their chagrin!

Tas

The pattern of inheritance is because of the recessive gene for colour-blindness being carried on the X chromosome so you only need one copy of it if you're male. Or at least that's the case for the principal cause of red-green colour blindness. Affected females are possible (!) but their father would have to be colour-blind and their mother a carrier or herself affected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Getting back to things that go bang:

Did you know that pure oxygen is not only explosive but also toxic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

bobofel
47865.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote

is oxygen explosive itself? It is needed in combustion but does not burn itself.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next