View previous topic | View next topic

Dynamite

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mckeonj
42074.  Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Dynamite, and its inventor Alfred Nobel, are Quite Interesting.

bobofel
47236.  Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

especially when applied to the bottom floor of large buildings in the correct quantities :D

Mr Grue
47400.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote

There is that old rumour about the Nobel prizes. There is no Nobel prize for mathematics, and it is said that the reason for this is because Mrs Nobel was being nobbled by a leading mathematician. Doubtless apocryphal, mind.

dr.bob
47403.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote

I think you meant to say "Definitely apocryphal, owing to the fact that Alfred Nobel never married :)

I'm still wondering why bobfel spends his/her time applying Alfred Nobel to the bottom floor of large buildings.

bobofel
47456.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote

har de har har and that's Mr. bobofel to you, insignificant being.

I'm guessing that dynamite does not look like the little red cylinders that you see in cartoons etc. I wonder if Nobel would ever fit into one of them.

dr.bob
47592.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote

Depends if you folded him in the 4th dimension.

Mr bobfel sir (grovel, grovel)

bobofel
47608.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote

that's better

and yes, I saw that post about the fourth dimension, very strange. It is impossible to visualise a 4D shape on a 2D surface, tho it does help us to visualise it in our minds as a 3D representation of a 4D thing.

Does anyone on these forums work with dynamite, or are miners/demolition experts/coyotes not interesting enough to be allowed to post?

Caradoc
47733.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote

I've used plastic explosive (PE) mainly for loosening the chalk in Salisbury plain when digging trenches. The PE we used was white & looked & felt like plasticine. I've only seen dynamite in films, training as well as entertainment, it came in light brown sticks.

Dynamite is made by adding nitro-glycerine to Diatomite or Kieselgur.

Gunpowder is fairly easy to make as long as you can get the saltpetre.

Thermite is harder to make but much more interesting

samivel
47742.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote

Is Marmite explosive? ;)

Celebaelin
47757.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote

Caradoc wrote:
Thermite is harder to make but much more interesting

Is there more to Thermite than the thermite reaction then? Probably best not to be specific in answering that! We were advised against knocking tanks/valves with tools to check levels/try to free them (on any tank, but solvent and fuel tanks especially) because of the possibility of causing an explosion.

DELETED
47759.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote

DELETED

eggshaped
47762.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote

It's mentioned here

Quote:
Marmite is a material that has visco-elastic flow properties, somewhere between a viscous liquid and a soft gel. When you pat the surface repeatedly with a spoon, what you are doing is generally roughening up the surface into a tangle of microscopic peaks and valleys. Some marmite adheres to the spoon, and is lifted into a sharp peak as the spoon is withdrawn. Because the material is not truly liquid, the peak stays there.

Optically, marmite (as usually encountered with a smooth surface) is an indescribable brownish-black colour with a significant surface lustre. It can look quite shiny. What this means is that the light which reaches our eyes from a sample of marmite has travelled through a fair amount of light absorbing material before we get a little bit of it reflected back (the brownish-black colour that we see). But is also means that a small but significant proportion of the light -- perhaps 10 to 15% -- is reflected directly back from the surface (the lustrous or shiny appearance).

When we roughen the surface, we increase the amount of that surface reflection, and we change things so that the reflection will be a diffuse one from several surfaces rather than a direct one. The result is that the material looks white, because most of the light we see coming from it has been reflected off its front surface in a diffuse way, without ever penetrating deeply into the material where it can be absorbed.

DELETED
47763.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote

DELETED

bobofel
47767.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote

But can the white deposit be used as an explosive?

Tas
47773.  Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Optically, marmite (as usually encountered with a smooth surface) is an indescribable brownish-black colour

Of course it can be described. It is Marmite-brown. (Although, I am certain that you will not find THAT colour on an artists pallette...unless left there from his teatime snack, of course!)

:-)

Tas

*Thinks Marmite would be an excellent addition for the 'M' series*

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next