View previous topic | View next topic

Jacob Christian Jacobsen & Carlsberg

Page 1 of 1

Rasmus
902016.  Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote

The founder of Carlsberg, Jacob Christian Jacobsen, has a lot of J's in his name, and was quite a figure in the Danish industrialisation. The founding of Carlsberg, his research with yeast, and his inspiration from Pasteur was turned into a tv-series.

There must be a question in there.

Something like; “Who founded Carlsberg?”

Forfeit: Carl ...?
Forfeit: Carl somebody?

Carl was Jacobsen's son, and the berg (mountain) is the Valby Hill, where he build the brewery.

suze
902131.  Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote

Carl Jacobsen also commissioned Den lille havfrue (The Little Mermaid), which is one of Copenhagen's major landmarks. He was well known as a patron of the arts, but even so The Little Mermaid was to some extent originally a Carlsberg advert.

Hr Jacobsen hired a sculptor called Edvard Eriksen to create the statue, and hired a ballerina called Ellen Price to model for it. But she was unwilling to get naked for Hr Eriksen, and so the face is hers but the body is Hr Eriksen's wife's.

The statue which tourists come to see is not in fact the original - that is stored at a secret location somewhere in Denmark, while the tourists see a copy.

Rasmus
902136.  Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote

I disagree that the mermaid in Copenhagen is a copy. I know this is claimed on Wikipedia, but I think that is based on a misunderstanding. Edvard Eriksen did make two copies of the statue, and gave one to his family. As this was a piece of commissioned work, it is my opinion that the delivered work is the “most” original.

In this Ritzau-interview this is confirmed, and the current owner, a descendant of Eriksen, is portrayed with it.

Bonus: As with Manneken Pis the mermaid's head has been stolen on several occations.

'yorz
964987.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote

She also was given a white painted bra, sometime in the 70s, and she was decapitated as well.

CB27
965068.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote

That was one heck of a donkey punch...

Page 1 of 1