View previous topic | View next topic

QI the 'disgusting' episode

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

bernie
934682.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Caught a really old (probably from last year) episode of QI on one of those obscure Freeview channels last night - think it was 'Dave'.

Anyway, one of the fascinating facts that Stephen Fry came out with was that there was someone who cured his severe asthma and eczema by consuming some weird concoction (obviously something you wouldn't normally do). Can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Ring any bells?

Bondee
934683.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Hello bernie. Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid it isn't ringing any bells for me right now. Was it one of Pliny's recipes?

You might find what you're looking for if you run a search on www.qitranscripts.com, courtesy of our very own MinervaMoon.

bernie
934689.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, may have mislead you. It was the 'H for Horrible' episode, but I will take up your suggestion, anyway. Thanks

suze
934693.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote

QI Transcripts doesn't at this time cover H series, so I fear that you'll be out of luck there.

But the episode in question is probably on YouTube ...

bernie
934694.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote

OK thanks

MinervaMoon
934700.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
at this time

Yeah, someone's totally gonna get on that sometime soon. Right, guys? *looks around*

Jenny
934709.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Hey, all you're doing is lying in hospital having an appendectomy, right? You've obviously got plenty of spare time...

MinervaMoon
934735.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote

I'm actually out now, hooray! It turns out that it isn't the appendix that has the abscess, but the cecum. So for now I get to keep all my parts. A shame, because I thought I was going to get to lose some weight in organs.

Hell if I did anything from my bed except sleep, get physically sick, and watch Netflix.

RLDavies
934813.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote

I can't really remember that bit, but I know some people swear that immune disorders (like asthma and psoriasis) can be fixed by getting parasites. So it was probably a tapeworm pill.

There was certainly discussion of tapeworm pills on some QI episode, and taking faecal material to recolonise the gut with the normal balance of flora. "H for Horrible" sounds like the right place for those topics!

suze
934824.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote

I think the tapeworm pill thing has actually come up in the show no less than thrice - F12 (Food), H7 (Horrible), and I9 (Illness), where it was brought up by Ben Goldacre as an aside.

As for feces, that was partly my fault. The forums had already established that there was such a thing as feces transplantation, and had noted that it was usually done per anum by means of an enema.

The discovery that the donor feces is sometimes administered via the other end of the gastro-intestinal tract was down to eggshaped and me. As for the fact that the world's leading expert on feces transplantation is a Danish American called Dr Aas ...

swot
934861.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

I think they were talking about hookworm, not tapeworms. There was an interesting article in New Scientist about a year or so ago on the subject, which also touched on faecal transplants. Just by the by, they do those in either Preston and Chorley hospital* for otherwise incurable C. Diff infections in elderly patients.

*Mother has worked for both, and told me that this was happening in a ward near her. I can't remember when she told me this, and hence, which hospital does this.

RLDavies
934865.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote

I originally thought hookworm, and then thought, no, nobody would deliberately give themselves hookworm, it must be tapeworm.

swot
935063.  Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Just had a shufti on newscientist.com. It was definitely hookworm, no matter how icky that might seem.

swot
935064.  Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote

New Scientist wrote:
The idea is that helminths, which chemically bewitch the immune systems of their hosts in order to survive, can temper the overzealous immune system behind disorders like Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and acute allergies.

Here is an abstract from a paper about this.

eggshaped
936418.  Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
QI Transcripts doesn't at this time cover H series, so I fear that you'll be out of luck there.

I have transcripts. And this is the bit you're talking about from Horrible...

Quote:
SEAN:
I heard a very interesting programme on the radio the other day about a man who was told that one of the benefits of having a tapeworm is it gets rid of asthma and , and eventually he caught a tapeworm and itís got rid of his crippling asthma and condition, it completely got rid of it.

STEPHEN:
Good gracious.

SEAN:
And he swears by it, and he wonít, he doesnít want to get rid of this tapeworm, you know, as you say, he eats more and...

STEPHEN:
Well no, you donít eat more actually, thatís not true at all. In fact if...

SEAN:
Well no, I added that bit on. Youíre right.

STEPHEN:
Yeah, quite. Because...

SEAN:
I put that in, put that in on purpose.

STEPHEN:
Itís a misapprehension, people think that, oh it eats all your food, therefore youíre bound to be really hungry, in fact it makes you nauseous, it eats a small amount of your food, but the irritation to the bowel and various other problems mean you actually lose appetite.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next