View previous topic | View next topic

Daps

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Celebaelin
44205.  Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote

AFAIK

Basketball boots come high up the ankle for support I think, much like flankers boots in rugby.

I've worn both flankers boots and basketball boots but never anything described as baseball boots (honestly), I've had more pairs of trainers than I can count though (so...about 'more than three' then).

gerontius grumpus
44215.  Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote

I had a school friend who wore baseball boots. He had just returned to England from Switzerland where he had gone to the American school in Geneva.
The baseball boots were like high daps with rubber bosses over the malleoli.
I always wanted a pair but never got them.

Gray
44261.  Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote

When I was far fitter than I am now (and at school), I remember the huge excitement that accompanied Reebok's release of a pair of basketball boots called 'The Pump' whose pneumatic lining you could pump up to fit your foot, by massaging a little 'ball' bulb on the top of the tongue. I once dunked in (someone else's) pair.

As if that isn't double entendre enough, here's the latest version from Dick's Sporting Goods. 130 pounds they were. It was either those or the silver-topped mahogany cane... *sigh*

samivel
44412.  Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote

I'd have gone for the cane

Cut_Up_Angel
44417.  Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote

In primary school we called the plimsolls or pumps, in secondary school and onwards we've always known them as old schools/old skools...

Zaphod Beeblebrox
44605.  Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote

We called them sand shoes and gym shoes.

Tas
44711.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote

To me, Plimsolls were the black footwear for P.E. when I was a nipper in the Infants school.

Junior school meant upgrading to trainers, and that's the name that stayed.

:-)

Tas

Stressed parent
44734.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote

My Welsh mother-in-law calls the black things with no laces (and no foot support) which primary school children have to wear to do P.E. in Daps.
The other shoes described above do have lots of subtle differences. Specific sports have differnt shoes; running shoes are different to tennis shoes, which are different to football boots which you probably wouldn't wear playing basketball. I wouldn't want to go running in 'sneakers' for example as they wouldn't provide the right type of support although they may look a similar type of shoe.
IMO sneakers and trainers are just one type of footwear that falls under fashion shoes. 'Daps' I would think is more synonymous with 'pumps' and 'plimsolls' rather than with trainers.

I don't know how I have managed to waffle so much about daps!

Amie
44776.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote

Quote:
never anything described as baseball boots

I thought baseball boots were Converse All Stars... I have a couple of pairs..

Natalie
44854.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote

What's the big deal behind Converse? Everyone's going on about them...am I missing something?

Amie
44857.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Oh no, your not missing anything, they're are just the shoes that do strangely fit my feet very well.. therefore I own many pairs.. well four.

Supposedly the ones you 'have' to buy are the black ones, all the 'famous' people wear them... that's exactly why I don't own that colour!

Gray
44869.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote

I find Converse too flat for walking much distance - I like a well-turned arch in my casual shoe.

Natalie
44886.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, get you Gray.

My friend just got her first 2 pairs of Converse - what a commotion there was about that. You'd have thought she'd had a baby! She got green and black ones (i.e. one is black and white, t'other is green and white).

Cut_Up_Angel
44887.  Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote

I have way too many pairs of Converse...

gerontius grumpus
45346.  Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote

I like the word 'daps' it's a kind of physical material onomatapaea. It sounds like they are.

I could never wear the ones without laces, the elastic bits at the sides always burst on my feet. Similarly, I can never wear a metal watch strap because they always break.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next