View previous topic | View next topic

Political attack ads

Page 1 of 1

natalie.salat
1083219.  Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote

I was just watching Lyndon B. Johnson's Daisy Girl attack ad from 1964 in its' fiftieth anniversary year. “One, two, three, four, five, seven, six, six, eight, nine...” (Seriously, that’s what she says!).

Remember how Hillary Clinton's own attempt to use a little girl in an ad to scare people into voting for her in the 2008 primaries backfired when it turned out that the stock footage was eight years old and the little girl was now a teenager and supporter of Obama?

Jenny
1083261.  Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote

I wasn't familiar with this so I looked it up and it can be found here.

My (American) husband, who was 22 in 1964, doesn't remember it, but he was an undergraduate at the time and not watching much TV.

tetsabb
1083274.  Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

My (American) husband

I don't believe that Jenny has a string of husbands round the world. :-)

Negative campaigning is probably quite easy for the spin doctors. "Don't vote for X -- s/he's a prat, because..." is a lot less hard work than saying "Vote for Y because s/he will bring prosperity, peace and kittens for everyone that wants them". If you slag off the opposition, you don't have to come up with promises that someone might hold you to -- "No tuition fees" for example.
Much of UKIP's recent success is based, it seems to me, on hatred for Europe, but with little substance in the matter of anything constructive.

Jenny
1083379.  Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Jenny wrote:

My (American) husband

I don't believe that Jenny has a string of husbands round the world. :-)

Well sequentially...

Page 1 of 1