Photo of the week plus mystery object feature

Page 20 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

djgordy
963356.  Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
Bondee wrote:
djgordy wrote:
I keep meaning to go once a month over the course of a year and take a photo every time from the same place. I'll do it next year starting on Jan 1st.
That could be a good idea for a thread. We could all choose a view that we're able to photograph once a month and do the same thing.

+ post 924257 and subsequent.

I liked this idea and thought now seemed like a good time to bring it up again as January is fast approaching. I shall be pondering a suitable location over Christmas.

I thought about this the other day. I meant to get round to doing it on Jan 1st. I'm free on Friday so I'm hoping that there will be some more snow to make a nice January photo.

Leith
964491.  Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote

There was still plenty of snow on the ground here this morning so I've been out to take a few pictures. Haven't looked through the results yet, but hopefully there will be a suitable Januaryish scene amongst them.

orablu wrote:
okay, so, here are a couple of entries by me, then. i do have a problem though. when i try to upload them to the flickr group, the thingy says that they're already in there, yet i can't find them among the pictures. what am i doing wrong?

Belatedly: It's a moderated group, orablu, so pictures submitted to it won't appear until Jenny or someone else approves them. They're there now (and the link URLs won't have changed).

Those shots of the skulls are very striking. Nice shadowy tones and composition. I like the bleached, aged look of that first beetle picture too.

orablu
964585.  Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
Belatedly: It's a moderated group, orablu, so pictures submitted to it won't appear until Jenny or someone else approves them. They're there now (and the link URLs won't have changed).

aaah, that explains it! i thought i was being an idiot again, and doing something wrong :D

Leith wrote:
Those shots of the skulls are very striking. Nice shadowy tones and composition. I like the bleached, aged look of that first beetle picture too.

thanks. i'm not really done with editing on some of those, yet, but i don't really have the time right now, so it'll have to do :D

Leith wrote:
There was still plenty of snow on the ground here this morning so I've been out to take a few pictures. Haven't looked through the results yet, but hopefully there will be a suitable Januaryish scene amongst them.

i hope so too; i always like your pictures. they're always beautiful and interesting.
so i'm looking forward to the januaryish scenes!

Last edited by orablu on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
964619.  Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Hi orablu - yes, I approved those pictures as soon as I saw them. I usually go in there once a day to check if there's anything new there.

Jenny
965413.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote

QI forum photographers - this is one for you.

We'd like the forthcoming (yes, honestly, it will get here eventually) new QI website to feature photographs taken by our QI forum members. To that end, I am going to start a weekly thread entitled Photo of the week with that week's date.

If you want to take part, you'll need to upload your photo to our Flickr group and put a link to that site to put an image on that week's thread.

The QI Flickr link is http://www.flickr.com/groups/quiteinteresting . Please don't upload photos from your own website or your own Flickr group to this thread.

By putting your photo on this thread, linked to the QI Flickr group, you are agreeing that you own all the necessary rights in the photo, and that you have given us an irrevocable licence to use it on the QI website. If your photo is chosen to feature on the new website, we'll put your real name on it and credit you with taking it, so you'll need to tell us at that point how you want to be cited. If you want to keep those details off the threads at this point, just send me a pm with them on and I'll store it.

We'd like you to tell us details of how and when the photo was taken, plus technical details if you like - undoubtedly many people will find that quite interesting.

In the future, we are hoping to gather together what at the moment we are calling the QI Carousel - galleries or collections of pictures we like. When the details of that have been fully decided, we'll put those up on the forums as well.

PLUS NEW FEATURE!

Mystery object

As well as pictures of yours that you particularly like/would like to share with the world, if you have any pictures that show an object from an odd angle or show only a small part of the object such that small brains like mine might, after some appealing puzzling, work out what they are.

Could be fun and would make a great addition to the site. People as old as me might remember a magazine for children called Look And Learn that had exactly such a feature many years ago (actually can't be that many years ago as this addition was suggested by Gray, who is a mere stripling).

Sadurian Mike
965560.  Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote

Okay I've managed to join and uploaded what I think is an interesting photo.

Those 'in the know' will recognise it, and most of you will know roughly what it pertains to, but I think it's QI.

Jenny
971751.  Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Mike, unless you are AV Dezign, I can't see anything new uploaded into the group.

'yorz
980172.  Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Done something stoopid. Logged on with my real name, which has now made it impossible to add pictures under 'yorz. Every attempt leads me to the new account.
Help.

Leith
980175.  Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote

You should be able to get the Flickr 'sign out' menu option by hovering your mouse pointer over the face icon in the top right corner.

'yorz
980177.  Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote

You're good! xx

Leith
980878.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Since my last couple of months' photos are still languishing unprocessed on the hard drive, here's one from last year:

What I was actually trying to capture was a swarm of mayfly-like creatures. They were each catching the sun so as to shine a dazzling white, their fluttering spirals and arcs looking for all the world like a fairies' ball.

They proved as elusive as they were ethereal, but the teazels around which they danced caught the light quite nicely too, and you can just see one of the dancers between the two heads at the top of the picture.

'yorz
980882.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Stunning one, Leith!

Jenny
980911.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote

I think that's a lovely one, Leith.

'yorz - I approved yours if you want to upload it to this thread.

'yorz
980940.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote

Last edited by 'yorz on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
980941.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote

Page 20 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next