View previous topic | View next topic

Photo of the week plus mystery object feature

Page 1 of 22
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Jenny
900181.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote

QI forum photographers - this is one for you.

We'd like the forthcoming (yes, honestly, it will get here eventually) new QI website to feature photographs taken by our QI forum members. To that end, I am going to start a weekly thread entitled Photo of the week with that week's date.

If you want to take part, you'll need to upload your photo to our Flickr group and put a link to that site to put an image on that week's thread.

The QI Flickr link is http://www.flickr.com/groups/quiteinteresting . Please don't upload photos from your own website or your own Flickr group to this thread.

By putting your photo on this thread, linked to the QI Flickr group, you are agreeing that you own all the necessary rights in the photo, and that you have given us an irrevocable licence to use it on the QI website. If your photo is chosen to feature on the new website, we'll put your real name on it and credit you with taking it, so you'll need to tell us at that point how you want to be cited. If you want to keep those details off the threads at this point, just send me a pm with them on and I'll store it.

We'd like you to tell us details of how and when the photo was taken, plus technical details if you like - undoubtedly many people will find that quite interesting.

In the future, we are hoping to gather together what at the moment we are calling the QI Carousel - galleries or collections of pictures we like. When the details of that have been fully decided, we'll put those up on the forums as well.

PLUS NEW FEATURE!

Mystery object

As well as pictures of yours that you particularly like/would like to share with the world, if you have any pictures that show an object from an odd angle or show only a small part of the object such that small brains like mine might, after some appealing puzzling, work out what they are.

Could be fun and would make a great addition to the site. People as old as me might remember a magazine for children called Look And Learn that had exactly such a feature many years ago (actually can't be that many years ago as this addition was suggested by Gray, who is a mere stripling).

Last edited by Jenny on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 44 times in total

Southpaw
900203.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote

A great idea and I hope to contribute at some point. A couple of questions though:

- What size and aspect ratio should the photos be to fit on the website?

- What kind of photos are you after? A theme of the week might be an idea, to give some structure.

Jenny
900208.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Good questions Southpaw.

I think that whatever the size and aspect ratio of the picture uploaded to the Flickr account is, once posted here it needs to be a size that isn't going to make the page go ultra-wide, but large enough to show it off properly. Most of the ones you've posted on the existing Flickr thread seem to be OK so take those as a guide.

At the moment, I don't think we have a theme, but we may look at that idea later. Photos that you are really proud of would be the ones to go for, I think.

We haven't put a number on it - we're rather relying on the common sense of posters not to overwhelm it with one individual's pictures. If common sense proves inadequate, we may have to tighten up on that.

Oceans Edge
901116.  Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote

Thankee Jenny :)

Jenny
901161.  Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote

Oh wow - what splendid colours! I saw that on the Flickr thumbnail, but it looks so much more brilliant in a larger format.

Oceans Edge
901221.  Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote

It really was hard to believe that there are skies that clear and blue ... not a wisp to be seen *smiles* one of the reasons that's always been a favourite.

Jenny
901914.  Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote

New week - April 16th.

Rather than start a new thread every week, I think I'll just demarcate the weeks on this thread by reposting the thread header at the start of each new week for the benefit of new posters. I'll also go back and delete a few posts that detract from the main flow of the thread as we were still getting used to the Flickr group.

QI forum photographers - this is one for you.

We'd like the forthcoming (yes, honestly, it will get here eventually) new QI website to feature photographs taken by our QI forum members. To that end, I am going to start a weekly thread entitled Photo of the week with that week's date.

If you want to take part, you'll need to upload your photo to our Flickr group and put a link to that site to put an image on that week's thread.

The QI Flickr link is http://www.flickr.com/groups/quiteinteresting . Please don't upload photos from your own website or your own Flickr group to this thread.

By putting your photo on this thread, linked to the QI Flickr group, you are agreeing that you own all the necessary rights in the photo, and that you have given us an irrevocable licence to use it on the QI website. If your photo is chosen to feature on the new website, we'll put your real name on it and credit you with taking it, so you'll need to tell us at that point how you want to be cited. If you want to keep those details off the threads at this point, just send me a pm with them on and I'll store it.

We'd like you to tell us details of how and when the photo was taken, plus technical details if you like - undoubtedly many people will find that quite interesting.

In the future, we are hoping to gather together what at the moment we are calling the QI Carousel - galleries or collections of pictures we like. When the details of that have been fully decided, we'll put those up on the forums as well.

I'm going to make the Photo of the Week threads sticky for a month or so, to give everybody a chance to look at them, but then unstick them in order to avoid clogging the top of the forum too much.

Jenny
901916.  Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote

'Yorz - I am dismayed - I think I must have accidentally deleted your lovely photo. Please could you re-upload it from the flickr group? Thank you, and my apologies.

'yorz
901939.  Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote

One quiet morning in January 2012. A friend's home in Holland. Open French doors, letting Antiphone Blues waft over the unruffled water of the lake. Utter bliss.
Canon PowerShot A520.

hassan el kebir
902107.  Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote

Oh gawd, I'm confused. I hope I've got everything right

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51140962@N06/7083766231/in/pool-1869962@N25/

taken this morning. I was just taking odd photos here and there to see if any were any good. I rather liked this one.

it was taken on a canon ixus130

Jenny
902127.  Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote

I can't get the picture to come up bigger than that, but you can click on the link to get to the image on the QI group. I think your original link was to your own Flickr account, Hassan.

'yorz
902437.  Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Removed E-O's picture - trial and error. Lots of error.

Last edited by 'yorz on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

hassan el kebir
902439.  Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Ha ha, I think that's got it, thanks to the helping hands of 'yorz.

Cheers our kid ;-)

Last edited by hassan el kebir on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
902441.  Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote

The kid's hair has turned grey in the last 60 minutes :(

Jenny
902611.  Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote

How did you do that, 'yorz? I couldn't get it to come up at all linking to the actual picture, and when I linked to the thumbnail it came up tiny of course.

Page 1 of 22
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next