View previous topic | View next topic

Chas and Dave

Page 1 of 1

grimwig
899845.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote

I know its been ages since I posted, but I have been reading other peoples stuff.

Anyway it occurs to me that Rabbit was played on the BBC from about 1979 despite it containing mention of Sainsburys; given that this was only a few years since Lola, and Cover of the Rolling Stone needing to be altered for airplay, was this the first song that'advertised' to be played?
And if so when was that rule relaxed?

Denis Norden mentions in his autobiography that for years 'You're the Top' couldnt be played because it has a brand name in it- cellophane!

Spoilt Victorian
1000883.  Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote

In 1980, The Freshies had a minor indie hit with ~ "I'm In Love With The Girl On A Manchester Virgin Megastore Checkout Desk" .

The version played on the radio at the time substituted the word 'certain' for 'Virgin'.

The 'no advertising' rule seems only to have applied to the title and chorus as they lyrics name-checked EMI, CBS, A&M, RCA, Hansa, Stateside, Creole, Apple, Decca, Charisma, Virgin, Zapple, RSO, Island too, Stiff, Jet, Logo, Factory, Zoo, Bell, Gull, Cube, MAM, WEA, Rack, Phonogram, Rediffusion, Swan, Atlantic, Carousel, Transatlantic, Chrysalis, Polydore, Warner Brothers and Manticore.

The only label missed out seems to be MCA. Which was the label the band subsequently signed to.

Page 1 of 1