View previous topic | View next topic

Is it real? your weighted opinion please

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

mckeonj
899009.  Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote

First one is definitely birds, study just the movements, which are typical of a small group of soaring birds, probably seagulls, ignoring for the moment the bright disk appearances.
I have seen this phenomenon on the Solent, from Bournemouth Bay. A group of seabirds were wheeling and diving in front of the Needles rocks, presumably fishing, and as they moved, their wings were reflecting the bright sun towards me; the wing profile was acting as a section of a concave mirror, and appeared as a bright disk, which appeared and disappeared, the overall effect was that of bright saucers skittering over the water.
This was almost exactly like the Kenneth Arnold "flying saucer" sighting of 1947.
Another UFO I have seen is the spooky 'triple white light' which hovers silently, then changes colour and zooms away silently.
If you wait for a few seconds, you will hear the distant rumble of the afterburners firing on the military or civilian jet which had been flying directly towards you, then went into a power climb.

zaphod23
899132.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for saying hello. how very convivial of you!

Re: "why would they travel all those light years just to hover over cities' (sic)
Well there are a lot of assumptions here. The main one being: that they are ALL civilised. There are joy riding yobs in every 3rd world country- riding around in stolen cars, cars that they have no idea how they work. So, why cant that be the case universally? There are bound to be yobbo aliens just causing a bit of mayhem. Or, as douglas Adams put it- "Buzzing people"

CB27
899148.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote

Until I see a yobbo joyriding a space shuttle, I'm not convinced :)

zaphod23
899152.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote

What I'm saying, is that there is a tendancy for humans to make dieties out of aliens. Yet I think the characteristics of a civilised, successful race may well be a universal constant and there may well be good aliens in spaceships and...naughty aliens in spaceships.
Not all of them would maybe want to land on the lawn of the whitehouse and be ceremonial about it all.

zaphod23
899160.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote

This is fascinating- any scientists out there got ideas? What the hell is going on in this cloud??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUcH3VClzUI&feature=related

'yorz
899186.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote

I've seen a small, rectangular rainbow, a few times. Don't think anybody has ever explained to me how that works.

CB27
899189.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote

I'm not saying all aliens will be peace loving, nor that they will villainous predators, I don't know what aliens (if any exist) are, and how will they react to finding our planet.

However, the idea that someone in a space equivalent of a Vauxhall Astra somehow stumbles across our planet on some joyride seems a bit silly.

Space is incredibly "empty" most of the time. To give you an idea:

The nearest star to our solar system is 4.24 light years away.

The distance from the Earth to our sun is a little over 8 light minutes.

The last known planet in our solar system, Neptune, is some 30 times the distance from the sun than Earth, and is 4 light hours away.

By the time you travel just a couple of light days away from the sun it would seem like a bright star among a sea of stars in the night sky, and the nearest star is still 700 times that distance away.

The only reason why aliens will travel to our solar system, and then to Earth, is if they were using equipment to look for the signs that show them life possibly exists, or if they were mapping all star systems. Either way, that would make them explorers, not joy riders.

exnihilo
899193.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote

'xactly, there has to be a Columbus (or Vikings) before there can ever be an Easyjet full of tourists.

If we are ever to be contacted by another civilisation it's all but unthinkable that it won't be a pioneering explorer that we see first.

soup
899195.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
what aliens (if any exist) are,

I think aliens definitely do exist (the sheer size of the universe makes this a certainty), whether they have the knowledge/wherewithal/want to travel to Earth is another matter

Arcane
899225.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote

I think aliens are among us.

They start out like normal humans, but after a while they stop aging, and take on a weird, frozen facial expression... They hide among us by calling themselves "actors" and "celebrities" but their limited talent is a poor cover. Some of them go under the cover of "Scientology" as well. Just saying.

CB27
899228.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote

I'm not saying aliens don't exist, it'll be interesting to see how life evolved on other planets, I just don't want to be presumptious in thinking they definitely do exist :)

soup
899236.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
I just don't want to be presumptious in thinking they definitely do exist

Thinking they exist is not presumptuous it is merely being realistic.

CB27
899249.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Nah, that would be thinking they could exist :)

ParanormalCamera
899305.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I'm very happy to be part of this group.
I'm italian so sorry for my bad english!
It's very difficult for me to participate in a discussion but i'll try anyway.
Thank you and a very happy & blessed Easter to you all.

'yorz
899327.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Well, that wasn't so bad after all :)
Welcome, PC, and Happy Easter to you, too.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next