View previous topic | View next topic

Sounds of other Planets...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Moosh
898578.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote

Oh. The point is that we now know something we didn't know before. What other point do you need?

AlmondFacialBar
898586.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
Oh. The point is that we now know something we didn't know before. What other point do you need?

Hm yeah, fair enough. It's just that for once in my life I can't think of any possible application for the reasearch at all at all. I mean, finding the Higgs or resolving the Goldbach conjecture will probably reveal fundamental properties of the universe, but knowing what a methane fall on another planet would sound like to us? Sorry, I just don't get it. Sounds like some post grad was just a little too desperate for a project...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Moosh
898597.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote

*shrug* studying the atmosphere on other planets probably has some application to the study of atmosphere on this planet, but I don't know if that's relevant to what they've done.

I dunno, I just don't understand the entire "applications" bit of research. You study things because they're interesting, who cares if it's useful?

soup
898662.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
who cares if it's useful?

The people who pay for the research.

AlmondFacialBar
898681.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
Moosh wrote:
who cares if it's useful?

The people who pay for the research.

Yup, and the people with the money are usually not pure science types, so obviously someone somewhere saw a use for that kind of research, and I wonder what it could be. Yes, you do study things because they're interesting, but unfortunately what's interesting to the researcher is quite often not half as interesting to the department head with the cheque book.

AlmondFacialBar

Moosh
898689.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote

Pah, philistines. Do people not realise that the whole purpose of society is to support pure research? And more specifically to support my pure research ;)

AlmondFacialBar
898698.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote

I was deeply impressed with the area of your PhD research. Went straight over my head, but sounded extremely scholarly... :-p

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
898749.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote

A few weeks ago it was announced that CERN was getting close to establishing the existence or otherwise of the Higgs boson*. A BBC News anchor was talking to a scientist and asking what the point of this research was. She reacted pretty much like Moosh above, saying that it was simply more insight into the origin of the Universe and research for its own sake.
I feel myself agreeing with Moosh and the scientist I mentioned -- it seems we find out X, and then that raises question Y, and, being the inquisitive little beasties we are, we go on, even if there is no practical benefit in the short term.
I do wonder sometimes how much funding CERN, for example, gets from the military, just on the off chance.....

*Somewhere I saw someone had mis-typed 'Higgs bison'. The image remains.

AlmondFacialBar
898754.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
A few weeks ago it was announced that CERN was getting close to establishing the existence or otherwise of the Higgs boson*. A BBC News anchor was talking to a scientist and asking what the point of this research was. She reacted pretty much like Moosh above, saying that it was simply more insight into the origin of the Universe and research for its own sake.
I feel myself agreeing with Moosh and the scientist I mentioned -- it seems we find out X, and then that raises question Y, and, being the inquisitive little beasties we are, we go on, even if there is no practical benefit in the short term.
I do wonder sometimes how much funding CERN, for example, gets from the military, just on the off chance.....

As mentioned above, what they do at CERn totally makes sense to me. Listening to extraterristrial volcanoes does not. And that mental image is awe-inspiring.

AlmondFacialBar

bemahan
898759.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
A few weeks ago it was announced that CERN was getting close to establishing the existence or otherwise of the Higgs boson*.

I misread your post as Higgs bosom.

'yorz
898771.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote

And so the cock was doffed again.

I am with Moosh. If scientific research is only funded when the research will be aimed at a desired outcome that appeals to the funder, then all the serendipitous chance finds that make research so worthwhile/exciting will be nigh impossible to happen upon.

Keetoz
898779.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote

Me too with Moosh and 'yorz.

And anyway the bean-counters are defeated on their own terms regarding cost and utility.

100 years ago Who'd of thought that research into the structure of the atom and subsequently the whacky world of quantum mechanics could possibly be of any use whatsoever? Thanks to this extraordinary example of early 20th-century, blue-sky research we have the technology to enable the QI website to exist! The history of science is littered with such examples; who knows what use current pure research will be put to in the future?

Moosh
898787.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

None, they go higher-level than that. CERN's funding comes from European governments. Germany, France and Britain provide about half of it, and there are (currently) 17 others who provide the other half.

mckeonj
898811.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
tetsabb wrote:

None, they go higher-level than that. CERN's funding comes from European governments. Germany, France and Britain provide about half of it, and there are (currently) 17 others who provide the other half.

So, do the others get 1/34 of the Higgs bison each?

aTao
898820.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
how exactly does it help the advancement of science to know what an ice volcanoe on Titan would sound like to human ears?

Its not particularly about sounds on other planets, more to do with sounds in other atmospheres. If, for example we were interested in how a helium breathing deep sea diver might sound without actually putting someone in that situation, this research and software would come up with the goods.
Quote:
Nevermind the human voice on Venus... Thanks!

This one, they got wrong. The sound of a human voice on Venus is more a strangled agonising scream. A bit how you might imagine someone that has just breathed in searingly hot sulphuric acid.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next