View previous topic | View next topic

Sounds of other Planets...

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

'yorz
898771.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote

And so the cock was doffed again.

I am with Moosh. If scientific research is only funded when the research will be aimed at a desired outcome that appeals to the funder, then all the serendipitous chance finds that make research so worthwhile/exciting will be nigh impossible to happen upon.

Keetoz
898779.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote

Me too with Moosh and 'yorz.

And anyway the bean-counters are defeated on their own terms regarding cost and utility.

100 years ago Who'd of thought that research into the structure of the atom and subsequently the whacky world of quantum mechanics could possibly be of any use whatsoever? Thanks to this extraordinary example of early 20th-century, blue-sky research we have the technology to enable the QI website to exist! The history of science is littered with such examples; who knows what use current pure research will be put to in the future?

Moosh
898787.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I do wonder sometimes how much funding CERN, for example, gets from the military, just on the off chance.....

None, they go higher-level than that. CERN's funding comes from European governments. Germany, France and Britain provide about half of it, and there are (currently) 17 others who provide the other half.

mckeonj
898811.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
tetsabb wrote:
I do wonder sometimes how much funding CERN, for example, gets from the military, just on the off chance.....

None, they go higher-level than that. CERN's funding comes from European governments. Germany, France and Britain provide about half of it, and there are (currently) 17 others who provide the other half.

So, do the others get 1/34 of the Higgs bison each?

aTao
898820.  Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
how exactly does it help the advancement of science to know what an ice volcanoe on Titan would sound like to human ears?

Its not particularly about sounds on other planets, more to do with sounds in other atmospheres. If, for example we were interested in how a helium breathing deep sea diver might sound without actually putting someone in that situation, this research and software would come up with the goods.
Quote:
Nevermind the human voice on Venus... Thanks!

This one, they got wrong. The sound of a human voice on Venus is more a strangled agonising scream. A bit how you might imagine someone that has just breathed in searingly hot sulphuric acid.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2