View previous topic | View next topic

Don't panic!!!

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Theblazeuk
897073.  Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

If companies attempted to create such a cartel and then exploit this kind of monopolistic leverage to fix prices they'd be fined for minor cases and broken up for more serious ones.

*sniff* I want to live in this beautiful world you speak of.

Neotenic
897077.  Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote

I suggest you google the phrase "price fixing fines" and see how beautiful this world is already.

suze
897084.  Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Surely in a beautiful world there wouldn't be any price fixing fines because companies wouldn't price fix.

Any company can do that Google search and read about any number of companies who have been fined for price fixing. But there are more of them every year, which must mean that some companies still think it's an OK thing to do. Why?

CB27
897092.  Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/rkRIbUT6u7Q

aTao
897199.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote

[conspiracy theory] They (always has to be a they) just want everyone to go out and spend a huge chunk of cash right now. Maybe a way to kick-start the economy?[/conspiracy theory]

dr.bob
897271.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
That's a thing I don't understand. Why would the union think a strike would demonise the government.

Perhaps they realised that, even by suggesting they might strike at some unspecified time in the future, the government would act like a group of collective arses and cause panic around the country.

Shrewd if so.

As for suze's idea that the panic buying has now been put to bed, that wasn't my experience this morning. I popped in to my local Sainsbury's to panic buy some diesel, and there was a massive queue to get in and several of the pumps had run out of diesel.

Clearly this panic still has a way to run before it settles down again.

Starfish13
897294.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote

It is being reported in the news that a woman was seriously burnt whilst decanting petrol from a container into a measuring jug in her kitchen whilst the cooker was on. The vapours ignigted, then the fuel, and the woman was engulfed in the ensuing fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17560534

barbados
897305.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote

I read that, and the first word that came to mind - although harsh in the circumstances - was Darwin.

Nick Robinson had a strange slant on the affair yesterday, and that was the government intention was to create some controlled panic buying. A strange concept if there ever was one ??

Which leads me on to this rather appropriate blog rant that ended up in my inbox http://sniffpetrol.com/2008/05/02/petrol-panic/ the choice of language is a little fruity so exercise caution around the workplace or your Granny, but it sums up the situation rather concisely

Strawberry
897329.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
barbados wrote:
That's a thing I don't understand. Why would the union think a strike would demonise the government.

Perhaps they realised that, even by suggesting they might strike at some unspecified time in the future, the government would act like a group of collective arses and cause panic around the country.

Shrewd if so.

As for suze's idea that the panic buying has now been put to bed, that wasn't my experience this morning. I popped in to my local Sainsbury's to panic buy some diesel, and there was a massive queue to get in and several of the pumps had run out of diesel.

Clearly this panic still has a way to run before it settles down again.

i went to Sainsbury's with the fiancÚ yesterday afternoon so he could buy some petrol. There was a big queue and there was also a bloke who directed the traffic.

Neotenic
897341.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the question, really, is whether it is the government acting like collective arses (which they may well have done)that caused the panic, or the fact the story was splashed on the front page of every paper, and the top of every bulletin.

Indeed, we can also track just how the story has morphed over the last week or so of press obsession with it.

here is a BBC report from barely a week ago. Considering the rather ham-fisted comments from various ministers over the last few days, it is certainly interesting to note that one of the key points of this particular story is that the government are not saying enough. Which may well have been part of the impetus for ministers to start rushing in front of microphones and saying the first thing that came into their heads.

Starfish13
897351.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote

I currently have a full tank of petrol.

However, my insurance company is looking to write off my car if I make any claim for the damage done to my door by the person who drove into it the other night. The age of the vehicle makes repair uneconomic, apparently.

So given that it isn't advisable to store your fuel in jerrycans or measuring jugs, would anyone be interested in a Mk3 Fiesta petrol container for their garage?

PDR
897375.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote

Just tell the insurance company that you are considering their offer for the next week or three while you use up the fuel. When the tank is dry THEN accept their offer and let them write it off.

PDR

Sadurian Mike
897413.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Sell the fuel to a fuel garage, they apparently need all the supplies they can get at the moment.

nitwit02
897506.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote

I was so panicked that I rushed out to fill my tank, and I don't even live in the UK.

bobwilson
897507.  Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote

I may have misread this (I'm not really interested) but on Ceefax I think it said that if everyone in the UK were to fill up their cars with existing stocks and drive as they normally do it'd take two weeks to empty the existing stocks.

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next