View previous topic | View next topic

The link between heroin and chocolate

Page 1 of 1

Annie123
896399.  Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

In a paper published in 2006 by Parker et. al, called mood state effects of chocolate it was found that when heroin addicts are not able to get any heroin they crave sweat things like chocolate....this may show that there could be an overlap in the neuronal systems and that carbohydrate craving is linked with the opiod rather than the serotenergic system

AlmondFacialBar
896403.  Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite some first post, welcome dear lady! Interesting point there, but as someone whose first inklings of both migraines and depressive episodes usually come with chocolate cravings I'd still say they've got to do with the serotenergic system. Maybe there should be a distinction made between chocolate cravings and carb cravings in general? I could well imagine different mechanisms being at play there.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Annie123
896480.  Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote

Thank you, and yes agree with you there that it does have more to do with the serotenergic system and looking into further research it does seem to say that heroin addicts crave any type of carbohydrates, it seems that Parker et. al, may have been a little biased about the wonder that is chocolate!

:)

Annie

Jenny
896531.  Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote

Welcome Annie123 :-)

I have no experience of heroin (though far too much of chocolate) but I do observe that when I eat either no or very limited amounts of carbs I crave them far less than when I eat them freely. Not sure which system that works with.

AlmondFacialBar
896544.  Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote

Well, carb intake generating more carb cravings actually makes sense to me, for evolutionary reasons. Carbs mean quick energy, so you’re more likely to catch that gazelle or escape from that lion when you eat lots of them. Hence, once you start eating carbs you’ll want more, because your brain thinks it’s a good chance for your body to refuel. Btw – I find that more of a problem with simple than with complex carbs, porridge, wholegrain rye bread and spuds don’t do that to me the same way as sweets, sliced white pan and white pasta. Same for fatty foods, that’s energy storage for hard times. Proteins, as important as they are, seem to take a backseat to that, because they’re never needed with any sense of immediacy. Basically I guess in a couple of hundred thousand years our brains will have caught with our modern sedentary lifestyles and instinctively make us like lettuce and skinless chicken breast. Only by then we’ll probably have gone extinct from obesity. ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

BlackSheep
909674.  Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Is the link between chocolate and heroin ice cream vans in Glasgow I'm not sure about these things I'm new to the QI forum .

Hummingbird
910172.  Fri May 18, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Hey, I'm up for heroin ice cream.

Arcane
910224.  Sat May 19, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote

Hummingbird wrote:
Hey, I'm up for heroin ice cream.

HUMMINGBIRD!! My goodness, haven't seen you for 18 months!! How have you been? WHERE have you been? Answers please? XD

Have missed you.

Page 1 of 1