Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
896379.  Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote

cherrycoke wrote:
James Cameron is the deepest man on earth

Only because Barry White is no more.

Leith
896401.  Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Now that's a proper adventure! I remember being quite fascinated by the Trieste as a kid and it's remarkable to think that no-one has repeated that expedition until now. Really looking forward to the documentary.

djgordy
896429.  Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote

That's because, until recently, more or less as I said earlier, the deep sea was of very little interest because people though of these reagions as vast, flat abyssal plains that sustained little or no life. It is also a lot more difficult to explore because you can't look at these places from far away and the problems of pressure are a lot worse than they are in space. The difference in pressure between the inside of a space ship and the outside is one atmosphere. The diffference in pressure between the inside and outside of a submersible in the ocean depths is 1,000 atmospheres.

cherrycoke
896433.  Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote

"Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't go there. It's really difficult" - No explorer, ever.

Leith
896632.  Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote

First reports, describing a desolate landscape, some limited success in sample collection (inhibited by a hydraulics failure) but plans for further dives:

Nat. Geographic: James Cameron on Earth's Deepest Spot: Desolate, Lunar-Like

djgordy wrote:
That's because, until recently, more or less as I said earlier, the deep sea was of very little interest because people though of these reagions as vast, flat abyssal plains that sustained little or no life.

That never stopped people visiting Lincolnshire.

djgordy wrote:
It is also a lot more difficult to explore because you can't look at these places from far away and the problems of pressure are a lot worse than they are in space. The difference in pressure between the inside of a space ship and the outside is one atmosphere. The diffference in pressure between the inside and outside of a submersible in the ocean depths is 1,000 atmospheres.

Some interesting engineering challenges, for sure. Modules for the International Space Station, for example, get tested in giant vacuum chambers, but I don't think you could do an equivalent pressure test for this sort of expedition. Sounds like the speed of Cameron's dive required the sub to handle some pretty rapid temperature changes, too, though I guess it will at least have been spared the kind of launch stresses and radiation exposure that spacecraft typically have to tolerate.

cherrycoke
896690.  Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote

First video from the deep.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthvideo/9168817/James-Camerons-first-footage-from-the-deep.html

Leith
900673.  Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Monday's xkcd, which seemed appropriate (and QI) here:

(click for larger image)

Starfish13
900765.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote

That's a pretty cool diagram. Just shows how little we think about what there is under the surface of the oceans.

I went to a talk a while back by a diver who was part of a team* that dived the Lusitania, the Transylvania, and the Britannic. These are all between 90 and 130m deep, and these guys were penetrating the wrecks to investigate the causes for sinking. That is quite scary deep, and then crawling into massive ocean liners which are really rabbit warrens of rusting scrap metal seems rather crazy.

*their dive team was called Starfish Enterprise, which I would love to steal as a name for a boat.

PDR
900828.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote

I don't get the bowie & mercury reference.

I understand that it's "under pressure", but why 9,000psi particularly?

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oceans Edge
900839.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
*their dive team was called Starfish Enterprise, which I would love to steal as a name for a boat.

Oh man *grins* you and me both :)

Got my eye on a lovely little Cape Islander...

Jenny
900888.  Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I don't get the bowie & mercury reference.

I understand that it's "under pressure", but why 16,000psi particularly?

PDR

I don't think the precise figures matter, do they?

mandy
918691.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to see the documentary too! Had no idea James Cameron was such an adventurist, i'm so jealous...

'yorz
918694.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote

Welcome, mandy ;-)

Posital
918790.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Youlgrieved.

Quote:
Cameron is the deepest man on earth
Wondered since when the PM was being profound.

Strawberry
918793.  Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Mandy; welcome to QI.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next