View previous topic | View next topic

London Mayoral Election

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Efros
906822.  Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote

Not the macarena but he seems to be dancing, even worse than I can which is a major feat in itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blMe_7-1jkU

djgordy
906877.  Sat May 05, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
London is supposed to be a major world city. It is, after all, hosting the Olympic Games in a few months from now.

Is it? Why has there been no mention of the event in the media?

CB27
906894.  Sat May 05, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote

No surprise Boris won, and it's typical of why I agreed with the NO vote in the mayoral referendums in other cities. In poll after poll, when questioned on policies without mention of candidate or party, the policies of Labour, Lib Dems and Green were ahead of Conservative for London. Forget the fact that Boris beat Ken marginally, the fact that the other two were so far behind was to do with personality and party.

The thing that's really annoying is that this proves people do vote according to personality and party lines, yet pundits keep telling us the public is fed up with party politics.

brunel
906928.  Sat May 05, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
London is supposed to be a major world city. It is, after all, hosting the Olympic Games in a few months from now.

And yet it has taken over 24 hours not to announce the result of the election. Contractors cutting off the power to the building where the count was being held, two ballot boxes apparently "forgotten". Bit of a shambles really. Boris, what are you going to do about it?

I might be mistaken, but surely addressing those problems would be part of the remit of the Electoral Commission rather than the Mayor of London?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
906948.  Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote

No surprise that Boris won albeit narrowly over Ken. Seems that people elected for personality rather than policy. I am disappointed that Brian came 4th.

djgordy
906957.  Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote

Brian Paddick was the Liberal Democrat candidate so the chances are that even if he was elected on his policies, he would follow Cleggy's example and abandon them the next day. At least we can be pretty sure that Boris isn't going to abandon his personality.

barbados
906960.  Sat May 05, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Brian Paddick was the Liberal Democrat candidate so the chances are that even if he was elected on his policies, he would follow Cleggy's example and abandon them the next day.

Did he actually have any policies? The only time I heard him talk about any policy was on crime, and his sole policy on that was that he would be better because he was a policeman once

djgordy
906964.  Sat May 05, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote

Now the election is over, here is leaflet that came through my door from a councillor who used to represent the Labour Party but switched to UKIP halfway between elections. Now, I'm not saying that he, or UKIP in general, have fascist sympathies, but I couldn't help noticing that he is wearing a black shirt.

He lost his seat although he did come 2nd. I imagine that is because he had been a counsellor for a quite some time rather than the fact that UKIP is particularly popular round these parts.

suze
907086.  Sat May 05, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Now, I'm not saying that he, or UKIP in general, have fascist sympathies, but I couldn't help noticing that he is wearing a black shirt.

As George Galloway often does. Although I'm not quite sure where that takes us ...

CB27
907153.  Sun May 06, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote

Despite his constant screaming about being to the left, I find George is not that far away from being a fascist when you look at his policy ideas...

Neotenic
907206.  Sun May 06, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote

For reasons I can't fully put my finger on, I always find it faintly unsettling that George doesn't appear to be able to find a single white person that is prepared to stand behind him while he is talking in public - I guess it does indeed feel to me that he relies too heavily on the politics of division.

On the broader election thing - I'm obviously pleased that Boris has secured a second term. And equally pleased that Ken used his concession speech to announce that he wouldn't stand again. I hope he keeps his word on that.

Not least because it will hopefully make the next contest a little bit more interesting than a choice between more of the same and more of what we had before - it was indeed a close-run thing, but I can't help but wonder if it would have been even closer, or even gone the other way, had Oona King secured the candidacy.

As I'm generally in favour of maximum term limits - and two terms feels about right, it will indeed be interesting to see what happens next time round.

suze
907214.  Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
I can't help but wonder if it would have been even closer, or even gone the other way, had Oona King secured the candidacy.

Andrew Neil doesn't think so. On the other hand, he does think that Alan Johnson would have won the nomination and subsequently the election if he had allowed his name to go forward.

CB27
907270.  Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Let's not forget that Ken was voted in as the candidate over Oona, and it was a convincing result. Both Ken and Oona were prominent members in London, but I guess many others, like me, thought Ken had the edge.

Neotenic
907862.  Tue May 08, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

Indeed - and there we may well see where the views of the party activists are not necessarily in lock-step with the public at large.

An unverified statistic I've seen bouncing around is that one in ten Labour voters plumped for Boris over Ken, even if they went with the party for the other ballots - and I do wonder how many also abstained because of the whole 'not Ken again' thing, despite not being able to bring themselves to vote Boris.

I can only hope that Paddick, however quietly, has the good grace to step aside too, so that we do actually get a decent contest next time round, rather than a warmed-over rehash of the last one.

suze
907865.  Tue May 08, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote

I indeed suspect that all three major parties will have a different candidate in 2016.

Boris has always said that he doesn't approve of anyone serving more than two terms, and in any case there's every chance that by 2016 he'll be preparing to stand for the party leadership.

I'd wager a very small sum on John Bercow being the Tory candidate next time around. Sarah Teather is already being tipped as a likely LibDem candidate, especially since she probably doesn't hold out too much hope of retaining her Westminster seat at the next election.

As for the Labour candidate, who knows. David Lammy is getting more mentions than anyone else, but is he too closely linked with Ken Livingstone? Is Eddie Izzard serious about wanting the job? Come to that, is Dizzee Rascal serious about wanting to enter politics, and if so which party will he declare for?

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next