View previous topic | View next topic

Puzzling/Nonsensical expressions.

Page 25 of 37
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Celebaelin
903294.  Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote

No, you wouldn't.

WordLover wrote:
Not sure what to make of "great big", "tiny little" etc., though. Nonstandard adverb? I don't think so. *"They were great big" sounds wrong to me. The two words lexicalised as one adjective? I don't think that either: you can't have *"great bigger" or *"more great big", though the phrase means something where comparison is possible.


ie They were great big thingies.

Adjectival.

The usage pre-supposes that bigger is better.

 
Spud McLaren
903592.  Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
I sort of feel that it's more a nonstandard adverb than a double descriptive. (How dirty? Filthy dirty.)
I wonder whether filthy dirty came into being as a qualifier to distinguish dirty as in covered in dirt from dirty as in sexually adventurous.

 
WordLover
903634.  Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
No, you wouldn't.
Well, there was no need for that.

"Great big" is sanctioned, you say: nobody denied it. Yes of course you can put "great big" before a noun, e.g. "great big thingies". My earlier message was merely to note that the usage of "great big" is restricted in some ways. There are things you can generally do with adjectives but can't do with "great big".

 
Celebaelin
904446.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote

Here's one.

"Hope against hope"

Why?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hope+against+hope

Quote:
Idiom:
hope against hope
To hope with little reason or justification.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hoping+against+hope

Quote:
Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
(Of Abraham)
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) Romans 4:18

 
NinOfEden
904486.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote

'Spick 'n' span'.

 
sally carr
904500.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote

Neat and tidy

 
'yorz
904509.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's one.

"Hope against hope"


Here's one - what? Can somebody explain please? Is there supposed to be some link between great big and hope against hope?
<stumped>

 
mckeonj
904515.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote

RTFT

 
'yorz
904516.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote

I did. And don't see the link.
I asked a polite question. No need to be so rude.

 
Strawberry
904517.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Quote:
Here's one.

"Hope against hope"


Here's one - what? Can somebody explain please? Is there supposed to be some link between great big and hope against hope?
<stumped>


Maybe Celebaelin finds hope against hope to be a puzzling/ nonsensical expression. So saying Here's one meant Here is another puzzling/ nonsensical exxpresion.

 
'yorz
904518.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote

Ah - thank you, Strawberry. I didn't think of that, because hope against hope to me is not nonsensical.

 
Celebaelin
904525.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Wow, such confusion over what seemed to me to be a pretty transparent example.

Hope against hope doesn't, on balance, make much sense does it? Even after you find the biblical context the only reason you can figure out what is intended is because you're already familiar with the expression.

Seems like a puzzling/nonsensical expression to me or perhaps I'm just being deliberately obtuse to justify my poorly considered post. You decide.

 
Strawberry
904533.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Ah - thank you, Strawberry. I didn't think of that, because hope against hope to me is not nonsensical.


:) You're welcome.

 
strukkanurv
904561.  Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote

'I believe in God'

Gets me every time.

 
Spud McLaren
905113.  Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote

That one doesn't bother me, but "the Bible proves it" does.

 

Page 25 of 37
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group