View previous topic | View next topic

Moths and Butterflies

Page 1 of 1

Bob
894461.  Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Sorry guys, you got the difference between butterflies and moths wrong: You stated that moths are night flying and butterflies are day flying and went on to explain why. That's not actually true: there are day flying moths too.

It is also noted that butterflies have club antena, but so do some moths.

Butterflies sit with their wings out and moths fold theirs back - only there are exceptions with this too.

You can'teven say that moths are dull colours and butterflies are brightly coloured: e.g. check out the elephant hawk moth? There are quite a few brightly coloured moths (and brown butterflies)

In short there is no scientific difference between butterflies and moths.

It would make an interesting repeat question though?

Moosh
894462.  Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Okay, so if there is no scientific difference between moths and butterflies, how do you show that day flying moths are indeed moths and not butterflies?

I propose that we define the terms based on their hours of activity and bollocks to the biology.

Bob
894469.  Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Don"t be silly. Look up the burnet moth. An example of a day flying moth. I'm sure google will direct you to many more.

bobwilson
894472.  Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote

I'd go with Bob

Quote:
In short there is no scientific difference between butterflies and moths.

unless someone can point me to a contrary opinion?

Posital
894490.  Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote

Moths, I squish with impunity... Butterflies are helped back outside.

Can it be any clearer?

Moosh
894507.  Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Don"t be silly. Look up the burnet moth. An example of a day flying moth. I'm sure google will direct you to many more.

I don't see how you can say that there's no difference between moths and butterflies and then state that some particular species is definitely a moth.

Zebra57
895124.  Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Is this similar to saying what is the difference between a frog and a toad?

Awitt
920991.  Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote

Or an alligator and croc?

CB27
921033.  Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote

There is a definite difference between alligators and crocodiles.

They are not even from the same family, let alone genus or species. If you look at the heads, the alligator has a rounded head, while the crocodile is much pointier, and there are other differences as well. They even inhabit different areas in the world, with Florida probably being the only place where you find the two together.

Page 1 of 1