View previous topic | View next topic

Magic Bus

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

gruff5
1053901.  Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote

eh? what's happened to page 4 of this thread - it was there a second ago!

Jenny
1054022.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote

The last page often appears to be there when you're right at the bottom of the page, but when you go to look at it you find it hasn't started yet.

BetteLou
1097339.  Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote

I currently know people from the Bus days in the early 70's. Looking for more info about the people and stories. I've posted several comments on Flicker.

scottish BoB
1144453.  Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote

Peet wrote:
Sorry - the names are lost in the mists of time. The driver who drove through the tunnel was 5.7-ish, short dark hair, and had a short name, something like Mike.

That sounds like Argonaught Tim. It would have been Grahams Bus, affectionately known as Bozo Bus....... Had a step in the middle so the back seats were higher than the front.
Hi,it is possible that the driver was Mike Acker from canada,also,grahams bus was a Blue BUSSING,I am very surprised to hear that barry is still living,do you know what happend to Ken from sunshine line ?

AlmondFacialBar
1144454.  Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote

Dang, people, we really should rent a bus and drive it from Land's End to John O'Groats or something. Or from Blackpool to Brighton or Dingle to Giant's Causeway or something. It would be great.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1144456.  Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote

post 894616

tets already suggested a wee while ago.... :-)

AlmondFacialBar
1144458.  Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote

I know, and that was my attempt to bump the idea. (Dingle to Giant's Causeway, btw. You know you want to.)

AlmondFacialBar

AlmondFacialBar
1144503.  Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Peet wrote:
There were as few accidents and many many many near misses....thank god. The worst was in about 76, when Kelly was driving along through Yogoslavia and a Turkish family overtaking at high speed in a merceedes drove straight under the front of his bus. Killed them all unfortunately, and Kelly was found 10% Guilty and had to pay some 2,000 Guilders to go free.

I feel sad about that Turkish family now, because remember those families and those Mercs. Not overtaking dangerously in Yugoslavia, but on the first part of their annual pilgrimages home to Anatolia, on the German motorways going south. The Mercs were usually Fintails in less than stellar repair, filled to the brim with children and baggage, and another couple of boxes on a decrepit roofrack. For the fathers they were important status symbols to show the families back home in Turkey that they were making it in Alamanya and doing them proud. For German car dealers they were scrap they were happy to get rid of for rather more money than it was worth. I dare say I fair few of them along with their owners met the same sad end you described there.

AlmondFacialBar

gruff5
1144506.  Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote

there was a programme on BBC radio (Radio 4 or 2) a week or so back that featured "the hippy trail" with accompanying 60s and early 70s music - very good listening. Mostly featuring veterans of bus journeys out to India/Nepal.

scottish BoB
1144587.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote

BetteLou wrote:
I currently know people from the Bus days in the early 70's. Looking for more info about the people and stories. I've posted several comments on Flicker.
Hi,some of the names that I remember are = spacey Pete/terry the tooth/Cowboy Jeff /Dave and Rob ( from wales )Mike Acker ( Mike Acker and I drove the last bus over the border into Iran when they literaly closed the border behind our tail end.And of course there was Greg and barry ( Copenhagen ) and Ken of sunshine line ( I drove with Ken to Goa ) Kevin in Athens who had taken Kens girlfriend ( Ithink her name was Cathie )I had Spacey Pete as a driver one time to Athens and believe me he was really spaced out,I had a bedford front double axel and awakend at the back of the bus to feel a vibration ,went to the front and looked out the door to see that the front wheel was shaking loose ( only 3 nuts still on )I hope that some of these names will help.

'yorz
1144590.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
there was a programme on BBC radio (Radio 4 or 2) a week or so back that featured "the hippy trail" with accompanying 60s and early 70s music - very good listening. Mostly featuring veterans of bus journeys out to India/Nepal.

And here it is!
Happy listening and, even better, reminiscing. :-)

Posital
1144591.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote

On the QI bus - you might not need a special license, eg:

dodgey saurce wrote:
Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive a passenger carrying vehicle manufactured more than 30 years before the date it is driven and not used for hire or reward or for the carriage of more than eight passengers

But who cares about rules - ITS A MAGIC BUS!!!

'yorz
1144592.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote

That's the Spirit! Anarchy Rules. Wahey!

Posital
1144605.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote

After listening to the radio proggy - I thought I'd check out Supertramp, and steeled myself to see them on their Supertramp Forever tour.

It's cancelled due to ill health. :-(

'yorz
1144607.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote

But don't you wish you'd been on that bus?

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next