View previous topic | View next topic

Days

Page 1 of 1

violetriga
41670.  Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:37 am Reply with quote

Anything unusual about days of the week?

I just found this rather odd thing at the Vampire article at Wikipedia:
Quote:
According to the late Serbian ethnologist Tatomir Vukanović, Roma people in Kosovo believed that vampires were invisible to most people. However, they could be seen "by a twin brother and sister born on a Saturday who wear their drawers and shirts inside out." Likewise, a settlement could be protected from a vampire "by finding a twin brother and sister born on a Saturday and making them wear their shirts and drawers inside out (cf previous section). This pair could see the vampire out of doors at night, but immediately after it saw them it would have to flee, head over heels."

A Google search presents no other sources to back up this claim, and I would assume it's part of Vukanović's "Journal of the Gypsy Lore Society" writings.

samivel
41672.  Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote

Off-topic, but what's the phrase 'head over heels' all about? Isn't that the customary position for the head?

eggshaped
41675.  Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote

completely off topic!

I think it was originally "heels over head", at least that's what I read in "port out starboard home".

mckeonj
41694.  Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
completely off topic!

I think it was originally "heels over head", at least that's what I read in "port out starboard home".

No, the phrases "head over heels" and "hell for leather" derive from Old Middle Dutch, being "het ufe hels" and "helfe leuten" respectively. The meaning of these phrases is obscure, but both occur in an old poem about a drunken man fleeing from pursuing witches, a plotline borrowed by Burns in "Tam O'Shanter" and macGonnaigul in "Drunken Thady".

Page 1 of 1