View previous topic | View next topic

Series J - suggest possible Generally Ignorance questions?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

cybercms
891227.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Hi, As most QI fans are aware, Series J is in production. I therefore it would be interesting to post suggestions of general ignorance Questions that haven't yet appeared on the show.

To start off, here's my own personal suggestion: Question: What is the name given to the perserving of humans at low temperatures?

- General ignorance answer: Cyrogenics -Klaxon

Qi Answer: Cryonics - "the low-temperature preservation of humans and animals who can no longer be sustained by contemporary medicine"

Cyrogenics interestingly is the study of the production of very low temperature (below −150°C, −238°F or 123K) and the behavior of materials at those temperatures

Post your own question for the QI elves

Sadurian Mike
891314.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote

I have a sneaking suspicion that QI has covered this one before. I can't place it, however, so I may be wrong.

Efros
891321.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=18068

There is a cryogenics topic in the C Series thread, but no mention of cryonics.

cybercms
891399.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote

yes Efros, there is a mention of what people would wrongly call cyrogenics, even stephen fry in that episode calls it cyrogenics. My point is it's a mistake that needs to be address. Also it is perfect for a general ignorance question because i'm sure most people before they read this would say its cyrogenics and not cyronics; that is the definition of a general ignorance question.

how about some other possible General Ignorance questions for QI

Efros
891403.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Personally I think the term corpsicle is more accurate.

mckeonj
891411.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote

How do you spell Japan?

Jenny
891550.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote

<takes one for the team>

J A P A N?

mckeonj
891600.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote

N I P O N
How did this get transformed into Japan?
Early European explorers, probably Portuguese, writing home in longhand, with initial N having a tail, and O looking like A.
In similar fashion, Roman writing of Boudicca got misread as BOADICEA.
I don't know how to illustrate this properly, perhaps one of our typeface boffs could oblige?

mckeonj
891603.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote

I just thought that it would be fun to occasionally present General Ignorance Questions with multiple choice Answers (each of which is wrong).

exnihilo
891605.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't agree, but to spare myself the effort of typing an answer, a handy link which offers much the same as I would have said.

Efros
891606.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
N I P O N
How did this get transformed into Japan?
Early European explorers, probably Portuguese, writing home in longhand, with initial N having a tail, and O looking like A.
In similar fashion, Roman writing of Boudicca got misread as BOADICEA.
I don't know how to illustrate this properly, perhaps one of our typeface boffs could oblige?

Interesting, Wiki disagrees on this putting the blame on Chinese pronunciation of 日本 'Japan' as Zeppen, this then being further mangled by the Malays as Jepang, which the Portuguese traders interpreted as Japan. English first usage was Giapan in 1565

Last edited by Efros on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

exnihilo
891608.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote

Great minds. And Wiki.

ruthbrownrigg
895036.  Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote

A policeman finds a farmer masturbating one of his sheep. What should the policeman do?

"Arrest him" - Klaxon

Answer: Nothing, as it's legal in this country to masturbate animals.

Sadurian Mike
895062.  Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Essential, given the usual selective breeding programmes.

Rasmus
895127.  Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote

Why are (most) carrots orange?
I am struggeling to find a J-connection, but perhaps someone can help me. In Bavarian, Danish and Norwegian carrots are literally called yellow roots.

But why are most carrots sold in Europe orange?

Forfeit: The Dutch bred them, to promote their national colour.
Forfeit: The Dutch bred them, to honour William of Orange / the House of Orange.

The World Carrot Museum:
Quote:
Dr T Fernie (Herbal Simples1875) reported - “The Dutch Government had no love for the House of Orange: and many a grave burgomaster went so far as to banish from his garden the Orange lily, and Marigold; also the sale of Oranges and Carrots was prohibited in the markets on account of their aristocratic colour.”

But who “invented” the orange carrot?

Forfeit: The Dutch.
Forfeit: The French.
Forfeit: The Romans.

The World Carrot Museum:
Quote:
There are compelling arguments for a much earlier, near eastern origin - the Byzantine illustration in the Dioscorides codex, drawn in 512 ad shows quite clearly carrot plants with a thick, orange coloured root, indicating that carotene cultivars already existed at that time. In fact it is considered very likely that this Vienna Codex was copied from a much earlier manuscript, perhaps an illustrated manuscript owned by Theodosius II. (408-450 A.D.)

What makes them orange?

Forfeit: Determination.

Answer: Beta-carotene (β-carotene).

Bonus about eating carrots:
As Alan rightly said in episode C.5 (Cat's eyes), excessive intake of carrots (or more precisely, β-carotene) can cause your skin to turn orange. The condition is called carotenosis. I first came across it as a child, when my brother ate ≈ 1 kg of carrots a day, and soon became ginger par excellence.

It does not have to be carrots. According to The National Food Institute at the Technical University of Denmark a raw Danish carrot contains 9.070 µg β-carotene per 100 g, while frozen spinach contains 4.534 µg.

So you have to eat more of it, but I think it is funny, that eating greens can turn you orange.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next