View previous topic | View next topic

Reporting a problem

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Sadurian Mike
892389.  Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for the sort of threads currently causing so much mayhem and ill-feeling.

One of the forums that my lovely wife frequents has an area set aside as a sort of 'high-risk zone'. The tagline description seems particularly apposite; 'Some people cannot resist descending into personal abuse and childish argument. This is where they hang out, come see them at play'.

Now if we agree that threads that turn nasty are somewhat inevitable given the open nature of the internet and this forum, maybe containing the threads that blow up into slanging matches is the way to prevent the easily offended from 'accidentally' wandering in.

I propose a 'Ballpit' area where childish slanging matches can be isolated from the adults trying to enjoy debate and coffee in a child-free zone. Threads that start slipping into that category may earn a warning before being moved, but it could be the equivalent of the 'timeout' room where naughty children are sent to cool down.

This does rather assume that the area not be used for anything but threads where the slanging and abuse grossly outweigh any interesting content, but recently that seems to have happened enough times to warrant such an area.

Jenny
892397.  Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote

Nice idea Mike. I'll bear it in mind.

Spud McLaren
892646.  Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
The poster in question is not exactly leaving a trail of interestingness behind him.
Youlgreave - I read intestines there.

< note to self : get optical prescription checked >

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2