View previous topic | View next topic

Japan uses tsunami money for whaling

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

'yorz
869569.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Roughly 2.28bn yen (19m) from a reconstruction fund for areas badly hit by the crippling 11 March earthquake, tsunami and ensuing nuclear disaster will be used to beef up security for the Japanese whaling fleet, which left port under heavy guard this week.

The money is part of about 500bn yen in "fisheries-related spending" green-lighted by parliament last month. Japan's Fisheries Agency justified the decision by saying that "safer hunts" would ultimately help whaling towns along the coast to recover.

article

Last edited by 'yorz on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

CB27
869573.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote

I don't agree with whaling because of sheer reduction in numbers, but if it's a legal practice in Japan, how is this any different from the way reconstruction funds are often used to help regional businesses in order to help get them working again?

BTW, I think you linked to the wrong video :)

'yorz
869575.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote

I've been asking myself the same question. When you give something, you cannot dictate how it's used.
However, many people will be disappointed - to say the least - that their money is being used in a way they don't support.

Zebra57
869609.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote

This surely ends any pretense of "Whaling for scientific purposes" or did the Tsunami selectively select regional scientific establishments?

CB27
869633.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote

I think the pretence of whaling for scientific purposes collapsed years ago, but until it's made illegal in Japan they are entitled to spend their money on ensuring that industry is kept going.

suze
869687.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote

If it is their money, I suppose that they are.

But it gives them a problem if Japan should be unfortunate enough to suffer another natural disaster any time soon. When Japan goes appealing to the international community for assistance, that community might not now be as forthcoming as it otherwise would have been.

'yorz
869690.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Which was what I was hinting at.

aTao
869695.  Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
I've been asking myself the same question. When you give something, you cannot dictate how it's used.
However, many people will be disappointed - to say the least - that their money is being used in a way they don't support.

Charity or tax?

Gavin
869836.  Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote

I live in Australia and we've donated to the Japanese tsunamis and now they're hunting whales in Australian waters. This has angered the people of Australia.

'yorz
869848.  Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote

In Australian waters? And the government doesn't protest?

tetsabb
869864.  Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
beef up security for the Japanese whaling fleet,

Errr....?

suze
869869.  Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:
now they're hunting whales in Australian waters.

The waters in question are international Antarctic waters. While Australia does lay a claim of a sort to them, that claim is not internationally recognized.

There are some in Australia who think that their country should send its warships out to deal with the Japanese whaling vessels, but that action would not stand up in court.

exnihilo
869931.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote

Do those people think Japan would have no response?

suze
869952.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote

If they do think that, then they are sadly misguided.

Even as it stands, the Japanese whaling ships are armed. For the purposes of the Hague Convention that doesn't automatically make them warships, but they become warships immediately they "take any part whatever in hostilities".

It is often claimed that there has never been a war between two democracies. That claim is wrong, but for sure the event is uncommon - and can we really imagine Australia and Japan going to battle at sea?

exnihilo
869953.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote

Could we really have imagined Britain and Iceland (kind of) going to war over fish? Stranger things have happened.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next