View previous topic | View next topic

Play School Windows

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

suze
888935.  Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote

IanDG wrote:
I may be wrong but I thought the third window was an arched window rather than a triangle.

There's a history of Play School on Wikipedia. According to that history, when the show began in 1964 the three windows were indeed round, square, and arched. The triangular window was added for the twentieth season of the show in 1983.

Sadurian Mike
889020.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote

That would be after my time, then.

Did anyone else think that Hamble looked like a doll that had been found in the gutter?

EDIT: I now find (after checking the Wikipedia site for the spelling of Hamble's name), that Hamble was supposed to look a bit grubby.

Wikipedia entry on Play School wrote:
Hamble was a little doll and one of the original five toys but dropped from the show during the 1980s to be replaced by Poppy. According to Joy Whitby, creator of Play School, Hamble was chosen as representative of a more "downtrodden", humble background than the "middle-class" associations that the teddy bears had.[2] She was disliked by presenters as she could not be cuddled.[3] According to the BBC website Chloe Ashcroft "did a terrible thing to Hamble. She just would not sit up...so one day I got a very big knitting needle, a big wooden one, and I stuck it right up her bum, as far as her head. So she was completely rigid, and she was much much better after that."[4]

Posital
889029.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote

Zebra57
889054.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
That would be after my time, then.

Did anyone else think that Hamble looked like a doll that had been found in the gutter?

EDIT: I now find (after checking the Wikipedia site for the spelling of Hamble's name), that Hamble was supposed to look a bit grubby.

Wikipedia entry on Play School wrote:
Hamble was a little doll and one of the original five toys but dropped from the show during the 1980s to be replaced by Poppy. According to Joy Whitby, creator of Play School, Hamble was chosen as representative of a more "downtrodden", humble background than the "middle-class" associations that the teddy bears had.[2] She was disliked by presenters as she could not be cuddled.[3] According to the BBC website Chloe Ashcroft "did a terrible thing to Hamble. She just would not sit up...so one day I got a very big knitting needle, a big wooden one, and I stuck it right up her bum, as far as her head. So she was completely rigid, and she was much much better after that."[4]

I thought that this was a children's programme; by the description of poor Hamble's treatment it sounds more like extreme S&M, more sited to the "alternative" channels.

Posital
889093.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Hamble = humble?

Spud McLaren
889104.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote

I always like Chloe Ashcroft best. I was right to, obviously.

Still, I can't believe she's nearly 70.

soup
889119.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Was never much of a watcher of playschool but I seem to remember Toni Arthur (she was a presenter when I was early teens so I wasn't really the target audience).
Also remember being bored witless on a Saturday and watching PlayAway.

suze
889178.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Complete with Jeremy Irons and Tony Baldrick-Robinson, as any number of YouTube clips will confirm.

I never saw either show, but the husband did. Lady Benjamin of Beckenham made her TV debut on Playschool, he tells me, and so did Johnny Ball.

Bondee
889180.  Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote

The first time I saw a duck-billed platypus was the time that Don Spencer played "spot the platypus" on Playschool.

And I have Lionel Morton's autograph somewhere. He was "busking" in Wimbledon one time when my nan and I went to visit my great aunt Elsie. The autograph is on the back of a postcard that has a picture of all the toys holding balloons.

Jenny
889341.  Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote

I remember both Floella Benjamin and Johnny Ball on Play School - my children used to watch it.

Spud McLaren
889375.  Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
... Lady Benjamin of Beckenham...
Good God, she'll be 63 this September. She certainly doesn't look it.

AlmondFacialBar
889432.  Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Right, so I spent about half an hour Googling Hamble and Co. (so much more enjoyable than analysing social media use in marketing communications), and... Well... The poor thing didn't just look a bit grubby, she actually looked violated and traumatised, didn't she? Or is that just me? There's just something about her face that makes me think having a knitting needle shoved up her arse by a TV-presenter was probably a doddle compared to what her parents did to her on a daily basis. Poor girl!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

mckeonj
889460.  Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Yes, and see what I found....

Jenny
889686.  Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote

That deserves a LOL!

Posital
889998.  Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Brian Cant, Floella Benjamin and Derek Griffiths.

Just had to mention my heroes.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next