View previous topic | View next topic

Paranoia, much?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jenny
950308.  Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

Some of the people on this forum who are also my friends on FB may have come across some friends of mine who are very conservative right-wingers. These friends/family are also among the people who think there is going to be some kind of coming 'crisis' and as far as I know they are actively preparing by sharing in the purchase of some land with other people who believe this, and they are also stockpiling and learning to use weapons and ammunition. One of them just shared this link on Facebook: http://soldoutaftercrisis.net/index-friendlyIS.php

Now lest I be accused of spamming, I will tell you that this is a fairly long video which is trying to sell you a list that anybody with a modicum of intelligence could probably work out for themselves with a little thought (at least I assume this to be the case - to be honest I gave up with it after about ten minutes of enduring the paranoia therein).

Are they actually paranoid, or does anybody think something or somebody is out to get them?

If I were going to indulge in paranoia myself, my biggest fear would be that libertarian loons would challenge the government in such a way as to bring down government power that would no doubt justify their fears.

CB27
950331.  Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote

On one of the documentary channels there is a series called Doomsday Preppers, it's one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

And scary when you realise how serious these people are.

swot
950339.  Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

That video is ridiculous. Like Jenny I couldn't watch it all, but I did watch an awful lot.

I'm all for being prepared, but I think he's making a bit too much of a fuss.

clack
950340.  Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Folks have been prophesying and preparing for doomsday for centuries, and indeed you will always find enough evidence of apocalyptic threat out in the world if that's what you're looking for. (These threats aren't necessarily far-fetched either : e.g. nuclear war, Middle East clash, etc.)

I wonder though why people go looking for evidence of doomsday threats in the 1st place. 'Confirmation bias' is when you want something to be true, and go looking for the evidence that will confirm your belief -- and in the age of the internet, you will always find the evidence you are looking for somewhere.

But why would anyone want to believe that doomsday is approaching? What psychological need is being fulfilled?

Efros
950432.  Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote

I think this is related to the "Aftershock Survival Summit", again hyperbolic doom and gloom. http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/interview-exposes-stocks-collapse/2012/09/20/id/456981?PROMO_CODE=109C0-1&utm_source=taboola

RLDavies
950437.  Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote

clack wrote:
But why would anyone want to believe that doomsday is approaching? What psychological need is being fulfilled?

Have you ever had an apocalypse daydream -- what you would do if you were the last, or nearly the last, person left alive after the nuclear war/plague/zombie horde/alien invasion? Of course you'd have made appropriate provisions, and you'd do exactly the right things. Other survivors would respect you because you were prepared and efficient. You'd take control. You and your followers wouldn't just scrape by, you'd end up rebuilding civilisation even better than it was before.

That's a heck of a power fantasy. Combined with a smug feeling of "when it happens, you'll find out I was right all along".

Efros
950440.  Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote

I used to have those sort of thoughts a lot whenever I travelled in the early 80s. Reagan made us all nervous.

Jenny
950533.  Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote

What I'd like to hear, I suppose, is some information that I could use to counter these fantasies. I guess it would also be good to hear that we're not facing an apocalyptic scenario in the stock market, as that link Efros provided seems to claim!

Spud McLaren
950536.  Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Are they actually paranoid, or does anybody think something or somebody is out to get them?
Well whatever it is, good sense evidently isn't hard on their heels.

I doubt whether there's anything you could use to counter this paranoia. They'll just think that "they" have already got to you.

Neotenic
950618.  Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote

I think, really, what we're dealing with here is a failure of imagination - or, at least, a type of imagination that can only imagine one potential outcome to any given scenario.

That is, any chink in the armour of the status quo will be enough to bring down the whole shithouse and everything they hold dear.

I'm not in a position to watch the video, but scrolling through the text elsewhere on the site we find this little beauty, which illustrates quite neatly the acute failure of perspective;

Quote:
Look at what happened in Germany when hyperinflation hit one pound of bread cost 3 billion marks. And the US is on the same crash course.

You heard it here first, folks, the US is on the same course that Germany was on in the 20's.

Of course, the similarties are startlingly clear - Germany was reeling from having lost the war and having a considerable chunk of her economically productive citizens lying face-down on a field in France, and was also being hit by unreasonably punitive reparation demands that could not be repaid in their domestic currency.

And America.... has just had an election where The Other Guy won instead.

I've been party to some of the discussions that Jen mentions, and I'm certainly struck by how quickly things escalate in the minds of people who hold these types of views - I was particularly astounded recently to see rolled out, in all seriousness, the notion that the next logical step after the equalisation of gay marriage is the union betwixt man and animal. So if we allow Steve and Roger to marry today, tomorrow we will be allowing Steve and Rover to do the same.

With the context of that mindset, its not hard to see how ideas of apocalypse germinate and flourish.

It does all lead me to believe that, by and large, 9/11 has been the most successful terrorist attack in history - it has fundamentally altered the psyche of people who had previously believed themselves to be indestructable.

It is a rather splendid irony that those who believe so fervently in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave are now quaking behind reinforced doors and personal muniton dumps every time someone called Javinder walks past.

But, however easy it is to mock, it is also easy to forget that similarly apocalyptic, if somewhat less organised, predictions were coming out of the blue camp at the ramifications of a red win - certainly in terms of global nuclear holocaust.

Efros
950620.  Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote

There were similar, albeit less apocalyptic, fears during the late 60s and early 70s in the UK. There was even the germ of a coup plotted against the then PM Harold Wilson, Mountbatten was to be installed as interim PM and the fear of this along with other issues is what is believed to have led to Wilson's abrupt exit as PM.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4789060.stm

djgordy
950638.  Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The eastern world, it is exploding
Violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'

But you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don't believe
We're on the eve
of destruction.

Don't you understand what I'm tryin' to say
Can't you feel the fears I'm feelin' today?
If the button is pushed, there's no runnin' away
There'll be no one to save, with the world in a grave
[Take a look around ya boy, it's bound to scare ya boy]

And you tell me
Ah, you don't believe
We're on the eve
of destruction.

Yeah, my blood's so mad feels like coagulatin'
I'm sitting here just contemplatin'
I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation.
Handful of senators don't pass legislation
And marches alone can't bring integration
When human respect is disintegratin'
This whole crazy world is just too frustratin'

And you tell me
Ah, you don't believe
We're on the eve
of destruction.

Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
You may leave here for 4 days in space
But when you return, it's the same old place
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace
Hate your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace
And, tell me over and over and over and over again, my friend
You don't believe
We're on the eve
Of destruction
Mm, no no, you don't believe
We're on the eve
of destruction.

RLDavies
950666.  Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
It does all lead me to believe that, by and large, 9/11 has been the most successful terrorist attack in history - it has fundamentally altered the psyche of people who had previously believed themselves to be indestructable.

There were at least as many doomsday-preparedness cranks during the Cold War. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are the same ones today, having simply traded in the old Commie scenario for the more up-to-date terrorist/eco/liberal scenario.

cornixt
950699.  Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
On one of the documentary channels there is a series called Doomsday Preppers, it's one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

And scary when you realise how serious these people are.

Documentary channels? You mean reality tv channels. Which is pretty much all of them that don't show drama.

But yes, they are hilarious and scary. One tv show had a competition to provide a prepper with a hidden underground compound. Like many of these places, it was built by a contractor, who knows it inside and out, and probably has his own backdoor so he can use it instead. Most of those things have a few fatal flaws that mean that any determined attacker will be able to make their way in, or at least kill the occupants slowly by covering up the stupidly obvious air vents. The people who buy these things aren't exactly known for the reasoning skills though. Personally, I think the best option is to have the secret room beneath your own house - it's close and hidden much better.

Neotenic
950708.  Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote

....but, then again, if society as we know it completely crumbles and we are thrust into some kind of feral nightmare, do we really want to survive anyway?

Is it better to be offed in the initial throes, or eke out the end quaking in a metal and concrete box, waiting for your supply of 37 essential foodstuffs to be used up?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next